Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Where do you sleep?

With my severe thoracic muscle spasms it is now impossible to sleep for more than 2 hours. The pain wakes me up & I cannot get back to sleep. I have not been able to sleep for more than two hours for months. The couch, the bed...same result. My next step is the floor. My thinking is if the surface is stable I can sleep. This is a bad long term solution obviously but not sleeping can't be helping with any healing that could be happening. I would prefer not to get a new mattress as this is only my problem.
Thank you

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 08/19/2015 - 5:09 AM
    Do you take any medications? Anything you can take before you go to bed to help spasms relax?

With my chronic pain I had sleepless nights and it was crazy making.
    My pain management doctor did a sleep study. I didn't think I slept well during test, so I didn't think the test would be effective..but doctor saw something and added yet another med.

But it was effective and has helped me very much. I may have one or two nights a week without sleep, but it's manageable now.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I have found a blow up mattress can work for a night or two before you have to go back into the normal rotation (bed, recliner and couch). Good luck!
    Herniated L5 S1, (2) Lumbar Epidural Injections, lumbar discectomy L5 S1 August 2009, ALIF L5 S1 December 2012, Nerve Damage, L4 L5 Bulging Disc
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    These applied to times prior and after surgery

Shoulder Surgeries
    Hip Surgeries

• Left - Couch
      Right - Bed
    Ankle Surgery
    Thoracic problems (not surgery)

Several years ago, we purchased an adjustable bed with a medium hardness good quality mattress. I have tried so many different mattresses over the years, never found on that did it all.

Until......... The Adjustable Bed The head can move up/down as well as the feet, so in many ways it acts the same way as a hospital bed. It also has a bit in massage unit. This bed has provided me with better all around sleep than anything else I have tried. We purchased a queen size one, which means one control does everything, both sides are up or down. If you purchased a king size, its two separate beds, so each person can decide how they want the bed positioned.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    Ten years ago I bought the best mattress money could buy. I felt pretty sure money would guarantee a good night's sleep and no more pain. Nope. When I moved into my tiny apartment all I could fit in was my futon. It was a very good futon mattress but nope! Incredible pain for 2 years until I decided to try an inexpensive memory foam mattress from the greatest shopping place in the net. I love it and my back loves it! I also have extra pillows so I am propped in a comfy position. I never thought I'd ever get a good night's sleep again but this is great!

I have no room in my tiny apartment for a recliner or a couch. I am so happy I was able to find something that works well for me and I wish the same for you.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • Last year I spent quite a bit of money buying different things to help me sleep better including several expensive pillows. My Pillow was one of them. I don't think for me it was worth the money that I paid for it. JMO. I have been sleeping better in my recliner than in bed but I can only sleep there when I don't have to work the next day because of the noise of the TV, kids and the lights and what not. I go to bed by 830 pm because I get up at 0315 am for work. I wake up several times a night with pain in my neck and shoulders and it takes a few minutes just to want to sit up and start moving. If I move too quickly, I am in for a rough day at work. Our recliner is nice because I can push back and it "locks" back into place so I don't have to keep constant pressure on it to stay reclined.
    Tracie C
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    edited 08/20/2015 - 1:56 AM
    I've been sleeping on the recliner for over 2 years. We bought a new, 2 person, electric one before I had my rotator cuff surgery last June. It has been a tremendous help. I've just recently tried to transition back to my bed, but I haven't been able to make it through the night there. My shoulder is improving, but unfortunately, my neck is not.
  • After multiple surgeries (cervical and lumbar - fusion and other surgeries), a spinal cord stimulator, more procedures than I can count, and sleeping in a recliner for three years (and only a couple of hours a night), this past January we got an adjustable bed. It is a split King - so my husband and I can both have our own settings - and for the first time in years, I am able to sleep five, sometimes six hours at night. The change it has made for me is . . . well, I find it hard to put it into words because it is SO huge. When I wake up during the night hurting, all I have to do is raise or lower my head or my feet, or sometimes both, and drift back off into sleep. I don't mean to say that it is a cure-all, because it's not . . . I still have my issues, my pain . . . I still battle this pain demon 24/7, and will for the rest of my life. In fact, just last month I had to use a walker for the first time because my back went out the worst it ever has, and my back couldn't support my upper body weight. But being able to sleep - in bed and not a recliner - has not only helped me physically, but also mentally and emotionally as well. It is definitely a very valuable tool in my arsenal of weapons to fight this enemy of pain and disability.