Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

five weeks post-op and still having arm pain

I had posterior lumbar surgery on july 15, 2015 which lasted nine hours long. My left arm hurt alot after from I assume the positioning I was in for the nine hour surgery. My IV was also in my lower left arm. For the first few weeks I thought my arm pain was actually improving compared to the first days when i could not even lift it hardly. Now the it has been right at five weeks i figured it would be back to normal but down where the IV was still hurts if I rub or squeeze there and my upper arm feels the same. Has anyone else had their arm feel bruised inside this many weeks post op? It was extremely sore the days after surgery but I figured it would be back to normal by now. Just curious if anyone else had anything of the same this far after...thanks in advance
angel
best wishes
advertisement

Comments

• I had a very similar thing happen to me. My L3-pelvis fusion surgery was in early July of 2014, and it was 11 1/2 hours long. My left arm was also in quite a lot of pain, yet numb-feeling at the same time. At physical therapy 6 weeks later, I could only bicep-curl a 2 pound weight. I couldn't even lift a gallon of milk. Slowly, it has gotten a lot better. It's not completely back to normal, though - I still have surface numbness on the inside portion of my left forearm, and there's still that strange pain. I hate having anyone even brush up against that part of my arm. I know it's quite a long time after surgery to still have that effect, but as long as I keep having improvements, I don't worry about it. My surgeon feels the same way.
  • I truly appreciate you sharing your situation with me. I was planning on mentioning it to my surgeon when I see him sept 1st and still will but you have put my mind at ease for now. My weird numbness is also inside my fore arm area and the bruised feeling is on front side of my left shoulder. No matter what, atleast I believe now that I will not kill over from it..LOL!
    i have had so many weird things before and after my surgery so I question every little thing now. I came down with Iritis few months before surgery (not linked) and then two weeks after surgery I came down with cellulitis in both my lower legs. I am still seeing eye doctor for my eye and i was treated for cellulitis with antibiotics and fluid pills for the swelling. My cellulitis has not cleared completely so I am off to my gen practitioner again monday for more meds. I have taken more medicines in past few months than the past few years I think. I thought I was just going to have fusion surgery to worry about healing from not all this other stuff. atleast I feel like the arm thing is just from laying there all those hours during surgery not neccesarily another ailment on the attack!! Thanks again and take care!
    Angel
    best wishes