Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior cervical microsurgical decompression w/partial vertebrectomy,c5-6,c6-7,c7-t1

Hello everyone. I am post-op 3 months today. My surgery lasted 4 1/2 hours. The surgery was for the most part a success, I still have some numbness in my two fingers on my one hand and my arm that was never an issue has numbness on the palm which they tell me should go away but I had complications with my throat for being under so long. I had such pain and difficulty swallowing immediately after surgery, even water, my pills needed to be crushed. I was in the hospital for 9 days due to not being able to eat or drink. They called in an ENT and found that my left vocal chord had been injured and it was paralyzed. I had to learn to swallow differently by trying to tilt my head down and to the left so things would go down and use thicket. Which was very difficult with having a collar on and not being able to move my neck. I am also a diabetic so eating soft food or ice cream I needed to watch my sugar intake. I have lost 43 lbs. since the surgery-it is like a new diet plan! I have to find some humor in this! I have now graduated from pureed foods, to soft foods but no solids-cannot swallow steak, chicken, bread! Need to chew everything to death in order for it to not get stuck! They say that some times the vocal chord nerve rejuvenates itself and I should know by seven months. My voice is raspy and low most of the time. There was a week where it was almost sounding like me and then it went away. I am thankful that the surgery for my neck was successful and I am off pain meds which I was on for over year and a half and I can more by arm but the complication with my throat is so frustrating. Has anyone experienced this and for this long? I have not gone back to work yet as I am not sure how I am going to work with little or no voice and being so tired from my throat as I wasn't aware that when your vocal chord is injured it doesn't close all the way so there is always the issue of choking which I have done four time and rushed to the hospital once from this. Thanks for listening to this long winded post.
advertisement