Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

You probably havent heard this one yet!

PIAPPIA Posts: 1
edited 08/20/2015 - 7:55 PM in New Member Introductions
First I want to say hello to the other newbies and old-timers here! I have been reading through these forums since my injury and they have helped a great deal.

Now to tell you what brought me here. In March 2015 I injured my back because of several errors put into motion with severely devestating consequences. Sometime in summer of 2014 I had unplugged the smoke detector from the outlet and put it away in a cabinet. Taking out the batteries did not occur to me since I was readying the house for company. Out of site out, of mind, they say. Then early in 2015 we started having issues with hard wired smoke detectors going off. Finally one Saturday we had one going off in the late morning and could not find which one it was (I'm sure you already guessed). This was going on about 20 minutes and driving my dogs into quivering masses. So, I grabbed my smallest dog and took them out to the backyard to play. About this time youre thinking I fell off a ladder, right? No. Worse.

I finally found the blasted smoke detector I had unplugged and stuffed in the cabinet and thank goodness it was silenced once and for all. I went to let the dogs back in and my little one had gotten out of the fence because of the fear! I was in my PJs still, calling her and finally she was coming back up the hill of the neighbors backyard. Then their boxer ran up behind her growling and the fight started! After yelling we realized my dog was going to be killed and I jumped the wrought iron fence and ran full speed down the sandy hill. Right before my feet went up I was thinking "I should be shimming on my rearend before I fall". Then up my feet went and BAM! Landed right on my tailbone from about 3 feet. Never felt soooo much pain in my life! I also wet my pj's with the force of the trauma. I couldnt move for a moment but my hubby yelling at me that my dog was dying got me moving! So I got down the hill, grabbed the boxer in a chokehold because that was ALL I could manage and tried to get my dog free. That didn't work and the boxer did not let go until my hubs got there several seconds later... When the boxer finally dropped my little dog I grabbed her and told hubby to let go of the other dog and help mine. He ran her up the hill and I followed, I gave him a knee over the fence, handed him my dog and had to then get back over myself, with him pushing and pulling me. We made it to the house and I made him run my dog to emergency vet. Meanwhile the adrenaline passed and the pain hit. I couldn't move! Somehow I managed to get my urine, blood and dogpooh soaked clothes off right on the livingroom tile and waswondering how to call an ambulance when I could not get my other dogs put up... I also had to sit on phone with the idiot vet asking about my dogs medical history. Finally I made it upstairs by crawling and then my hubby was home finally and helped me clean up and change and drove me to the human emergency room.

That's when the real fun started. Five hours in ER resulted in a diagnosis of a fractured sacrum and "muscle strain" in the thoracic region and even after three pleas to the PA that all the pain came from the thoracic region he would not image it. He only did a CT of the lumbar region. Then told me to go to my primary care doctor to follow up. I was new to the primary care and even after telling THEM that I had a fracture I had to wait 7 days to get in! If that wasn't bad enough, it took three weeks for them to get my referral to an ortho!!! Before my referral ever came through I found a out of network ortho who was able to see me quickly and diagnosed me with a 20% compression fracture of the T11. Which also proved to be INCORRECT.
He treated conservatively and didn't feel a need for a new MRI, just xrays. Finally, when my insurance received my referral I went to see a new ortho who did the new MRI and found a 50% compression of T11 and a chunk of T10 as well. When transferring my reports to the new doc I even saw where the first radiologist had typed 50% compression fracture...so obviously the first ortho didnt even read the reports!
Because of all that a couple of months went by and made me ineligible for kyphoplasty and I had to be managed conservatively. Five months later I am finally released for PT and patiently waiting for insurance approval.
My little Zoe was not so lucky and died the first night after surgery. :( I have a severe PTSD from her loss under such horrible circumstances.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage