Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey everyone, went to see my NS today for checkup. Had MRI on the 3rd. Mri said I had pinched nerve on C7. I had C3-C7 fusion back in March. Started having arm pain again in June. Told the PA about it and she ordered the MRI. Anyway I saw the NS today and he wants me to have 1 maybe 2 steroid injections in my neck. I also have a LOT of swelling in my neck and shoulders. He also wants me to have aggressive PT. I was wondering, has anyone had to have injections after fusion surgery. What was it like? I never had anything like this before and was just wondering. Thanks

• cindy2015ccindy2015 Posts: 26
    edited 08/28/2015 - 9:44 AM
    I have never had a fusion so can't say from experience. But I have spoken to other people who have had injections after surgery and they can be effective and relatively pain free. It is apparently very common to still need injections after surgery, also if the first one isn't so effective, subsequent ones can often work better. I spoke to a lovely lady in the waiting room for my first injection, she told me that after her third injection she didn't need them anymore. But the poor woman was waiting for another fusion in her lumber spine.
    It all [edit] this spine buisness doesn't it! I hope your injection works for you.
  • DulcedumbreDDulcedumbre Posts: 5
    edited 08/27/2015 - 1:24 PM
    Hey there,
    I had a single level ACDF about 7 months ago and I recently had facet joint injections (with lidocaine and steroid). They helped! but for me they didn't last long. I didn't have swelling or anything like you though. But since it seems like the facet joints are causing my pain, I'm going to have a rhizotomy next week (where they burn the nerve fibers)... I'm really hopeful. Anyway, I hope your injections go well!
  • Thank you both for your comments. As a matter of fact I am scheduled for 3 injections ; the 8th,15th, and 22nd of Sept. I hope they work too. I feel like I am carrying a bowling ball on my neck and shoulders. My NS said if the shots don't work, he'll have to do surgery again. So I am praying they will work. I am so over this. I want to feel normal again. It's been 6 mths since surgery and I thought I would be feeling better by now.
  • DON'T DO IT!!! I had 8 epidural steroid injections - on the 9th one I was paralyzed from the upper chest all the way down to my feet. It has been 5 years of shear agony and pain. I am able to walk now after years of PT however, I have never gotten back the use of my left hand. I still have and always will have a neurogenic bladder and bowels. I will be stuck using catheters for the rest of my life. The whole left side of my body is messed up, most of it is numb but very painful, lots of nerve pain. I can no longer run, jump, my balance is horrible, I could go on and on. Just don't chance it!!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Before you decide on having injections and/or the number of injections you are planning, its always best to read the facts.

While it was unfortunate that Cindi0906 had a very negative experience, that is not the norm.
    There are so many people that have benefited from these injections. Over the courses of 10+ years I probably had a dozen or so, some in my cervical, some thoracic, some lumbar. I had the most success with the cervical and lumbar injections.

The only negative experience I had was one the doctor administered the injection with his naked eye. He did not use any fluroscope or other
    X-ray assistance. That is key

Please read:
    Epidrual Spinal Injections

ESI Procedure

ESI Risks and side effects

ESI Video
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron did you have your cervical epidural under any type of sedation? I'm due to have one on Friday and I feel really nervous! I'm not scared of needles or anything but I've heard that if the needle gies just a bit too far it can be devastating. So some recommend no sedation so you can say (scream) if anything isn't right. I'm supposed to be having sedation but will request none if this is the case. Thanks x
    Kirsti x
    I had only one, the first one when I was slightly sedated.
    None for the rest of them.

When done correctly, the most you should feel is like a little bee sting that lasts only for a couple of seconds.
  • Did it help your pain?
    Kirsti x
    edited 09/07/2015 - 2:26 PM
    with pain relief from my lumbar and cervical ESI's. Keep in mind, these ESIs were done way after I had my last spinal surgery (last surgery 2000, last ESI, 20012). So for me, they were ways to help bring down some inflammation and make me more comfortable. I had decided a while ago along with my surgeon, that surgery at this point may not really give me that many benefits, so therefore, I always center on all the conservative treatments.

I did not get any relief from the several thoracic ESIs.
  • Cindi0906CCindi0906 Posts: 6
    edited 09/10/2015 - 5:09 PM
    Ron DiLauro the injection that left me paralyzed was my 8th injection. I 100% stand by my comment DON'T DO IT!! I am telling anyone that is considering SEI that they should reconsider. I am living proof that this happens and it's not worth it to have your entire life altered. I will never be the same.

While it was very unfortunate to have the negative results from the ESI. But please keep in mind, ESI's are done so very frequently, the chances of what happened to you is very slim. You can read all the statistics about ESIs, the risks, etc and your situation is so very rare. But this should never prevent any member from deciding to or not have a ESI based on your experience.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/10/15
  • Did the surgeon go in blind? What happened???x
    Kirsti x