Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ruptured disc l4 l5 can't walk pain 10

Doreen2DDoreen2 Posts: 44
edited 08/22/2015 - 12:13 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello I am not sure where to post this. I have been diagnosed with a l4 l5 ruptured disc. It is a re ruptured disc, 19 months ago had laminotomy. This time pain much worse, alot of pain in bottom and hip. It seems to be worsening by the day. Nerve and crushing pain in calf muscle.
This AM I can't put any weight on leg, had trouble getting to bathroom. I am not sure what to do, surgery on 31st. Should I try crutches or a knee walker? Crawling? We don't have room for wheel chair but might try to find one to get me to hospital.
I am using a Tens unit, heat, ice, lidoderm patches, percocettes. Would appreciate any advice would a muscle relaxer help?. Of course it is a Saturday and I desperately need advice
Thank you
8/31/15 microdiscetomy laminotomy
8/15 reruptured l5
12/24/13 laminotomy/discetomy of L5
9/98 laminectomy l4/l5

• ADRJenAADRJen Posts: 211
    edited 08/22/2015 - 2:39 AM
    If you have a knee walker I think that would help a lot. I used one when I had a broken ankle and it was great. I have a pair of crutches by my bed due to severe sciatica. Also a walker and a wheelchair. I borrowed them all. I hope your upcoming surgery brings you relief.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • MaxMMax Posts: 4
    edited 08/22/2015 - 8:36 AM
    after surgery, but if you have a muscal relaxer and or pain meds now is the time. there is no shame in going to the ER.
  • Thank you so much! I have thought many times of going to an ER, the pain is unbearable at times. Surgery is on 31st. I keep hoping they will have a cancellation and call me early.
    This time is so much worse than rupture 19 months ago. At least back then I could walk.
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    you should be heading over to the ER. Once pain levels start to hit the 8 number, we slowly lose the ability to really take care of ourselves. At 9, we need help and for anyone reaching a 10, you need total care. You can not drive, walk,

The fact that you can not put any weight on your leg is alarming. Even with a severe herniated disc and nerve impingement, you can put weight on your leg, painful , but you can do it. Contact your doctor to tell them about your present condition. They will hopefully advise you. Even though its a Saturday, all doctors have on call doctors that can take phone calls.

As far as the knee walker, I would not jump into that so quickly. I recently speak 2 1/2 months using one after having Achilles tendon reconstructive surgery. The knee walker was fine for the ankle, but using the knee walker really created some flareups in my lower back

You seem to be doing all the things anyone can do to control the pain level. I am not sure what a muscle relaxer would do for you at this point. If its sharp pain from your leg is why you cant put any pressure, the muscle relaxer is not going to address that. It would provide an overall muscle relaxation, which can take away some stress levels that you have right now

Call your doctor, and if the pain becomes that unbearable, have someone drive you to the emergency room
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you all so very much for you responses. I have called doc to tell him it is getting worse. When I first saw him I I was able to walk with a Tens unit an lido derm patches covering my left side of bottom along with 800 mg if Ibuprofen an 10 my onycodonr every 4 - 6 hours.
    I am not a doctor but it seemed excessive to me. Since then it has gotten worse I am now using crutches to get to the bathroom. I have called twice begging for help, have been told to hang in, given more pain meds and valium i am borrowing a wheelchair for surgery Monday. I wish I had trusted my feelings of going to an ER but my family said they wouldn't help me other than to give me pain med. Again, thank you. I will update after surgery
    8/15 reruptured l5
    9/98 laminectomy l4/l5
  • ControversialmikeCControversialmike Posts: 13
    edited 09/01/2015 - 8:19 AM
    similar condition. None of the meds the doc have sold me have offered any relief at all (cocodamol 30mg, naproxen 550mg, diazepam 2 and 5, gabopentrin).
    Flare up has died down now but next time I'm in real pain I'm calling 999 and getting an ambulance if there's any doubt of me being able to get there (last time I walked over a mile because I didn't want to use valuable services, then sat in agony for 7hrs until the doctor asked me to leave for asking for diazepam. Never again will I think of others when walking through the hospital doors. Then I'm going to sit in there until I've trailed every single painkiller they have until I find one that works.
    "2 packs of them please doc!"
    Small herniation L3/L4
    Large herniation L4/L5 causing spinal stenosis and horrible sciatica