Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For Better or for Worse

No, we are not renewing any marriage vows here.

From almost the first time I was on Spine-Health up till a few minutes ago, I've often-ed wondered about the long term results people have had with their surgery(s).

We can understand when a person finally decides to have that spinal surgery

• - The pain and discomfort was growing so much, they needed to do something
    - Al the doctors recommend surgery
    - Your family wants you to have surgery, they didn't want you to suffer more
    - You want to have the surgery, you tried everything, but it didn't work
    - etc
You go ahead and have the surgery. Initially you are so happy. That nagging pain that eventually made you have the surgery is gone!.

You start to feel better and are on your way to complete recovery. But Instead of always traveling down the straight road, you run into some hills , curves, and other obstacles. Some perhaps more abrupt than others. Now you begin to experience that pain all over again. Maybe not in the same spot, or perhaps it is. That can all be so very depressing

Your mind begins to drift.

• - Maybe I shouldn't have had that surgery, and I would be fine now
    - Perhaps the doctor did something wrong, its their fault
    - Did I re-herniate?
    - Do I have another problem?
    - and more
Now, lets fast forward a bit here. I dont want to include the pain/discomfort times due to self inflicted problems. But that I mean, patients that did not adhere to the restrictions and limitations laid out for you, by not doing the exercises you need to do, etc. Most of that will result in flare ups and perhaps in the worst scenario, setting a stage for follow on surgery.

But you did everything you were suppose to. Its years down the road, and you are hurting. I dont want to bring in the 6-36 month post surgical timeframes, so much can happen during that period. Instead, I'd like to concenrate on 3-5 years since surgery.

How are you?

The Questions

• - Was the surgery necessary?
    - I am suffering more today. Why? The surgery was suppose to fix everything.
    - I regret having the surgery
    - My surgery was the best thing for me
    - I have no life now
    - I have a total life
    - I am happy
    - I am angry
How do you feel? I know by stating 3-5 years down the road is going to eliminate many responses for members here. In a crude summary, we have three different type of members here

• - Those that had surgery recently and are miserable, failed surgery, etc, you hear from them often
    - Those that had surgery 5,10, 15 years ago and were doing ok , but now its coming back
    - Those that had the surgery, are doing good, so they move on and you rarely hear from them on Spine-Health anymore
I will comment on my own surgical history. Started back in 1978, when I was a young 28, and over time became 7 spinal surgeries, 4 total joint replacements, 1 Achilles reconstructive surgery and countless months of flare ups over time. I have no regrets about all of those surgeries. I do have regrets that I didnt always do what I should have, but I do know that IF I didn't have those surgeries, I would not be able to enjoy life as much as I do today.

I'd love to hear from others about their experiences with surgery.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com