Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vitamin D supplement for chronic pain

optimistooptimist Posts: 546
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Chronic Pain
I don't know if this has been brought up in this forum before but there recently has been a ton of research and papers in the pain management literature on Vitamin D deficiency and chronic pain. Has anyone else out have their levels checks by their pain management doctor and started on a high dose supplement of Vitamin D?

• I don't think it would "get rid" of the pain, but anyone with a vitamin deficiency would have a harder time managing pain than someone with sufficient levels. Plus drugs work based on correct levels of nutrients/vitamins.

I took Vitamin D after my surgery, mostly to help with bone fusion process. Didn't notice any measurable difference in pain. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.
  • ....by my latest rheumatologist, but I didn't get a chance to ask her WHY she wanted to know. I do know that my MIL is on a vitamin D supplement of some sort; possibly due to her osteoarthritis??

Thanks for the info - it's an easy enough thing to try!

• The neurologist that treats me has kicked into high gear on having me take higher levels of vitamin D. He also recommends getting some of it the old fashion way ... sunshine and fresh air!

• just read another article on it this morning and got it in gear and starting taking again.

I understand B-1 for nerves.......boy do I need that with this nerve pain.
  • Vitamin D has to be the taken in the correct form to be bio-available. It needs to be D3 (which is cholecalciferol), the natural Vitamin D, not the man-made Vitamin D2 (which is ergocalciferol). It also needs to be in an oil based capsule, not the dried tablet form.

If you ask your doctor for a vitamin D blood test, make sure it is the test for 25(OH)D, also called 25-hydroxyvitamin D.

If you take higher levels of Vitamin D, you need to take an adequate amount of calcium and magnesium. Too much vitamin D can draw calcium out of your bones.

Vitamin D has been proven non-toxic up to 10,000 units a day. Though I am not advocating everyone should take that much. Much depends on the latitude of where you live and how much you get out in the sun, your age, the color of your skin, and so forth. But I think that there is a lot of Vitamin D deficiency in northern latitude populations.

For a lot of good information on Vitamin D, you can check out the Vitamin D Council.
  • ;) Recently my primary care doctor prescibed vitamin D 1.25 mg softgel. This is not over the counter. It required a prescription. He'd checked my levels and I was low. I'm still taking my regular supplement. This sofgel tablet I take once per week. He has me on it for three months and then I'm to get my levels checked again.
  • optimist- I did not know that Vitamin D could help with pain. I never had my level checked but I am now on Fosamax plus D due to my osteoporosis. jade
  • Hi C, Tree Frog and others,

Has anyone had a Vitamin D deficiency and then been on Vitamin D and found it to do anything good or bad? Or do you know of someone who is taking it and it did anything?

My GP doctor is now testing all patients and my level was as low as possible. Oh great! So now I have one more prescription to take. I'll take 50,000 once a week for 3 months and then retest. Wouldn't it be amazing though if it actually does some good?! I'll let you know if it does.

Thanks, Dee
  • I take Vit D 2000 mg everyday along with my calcium, vit c, mag, vit E,and my yuccky b-complex,and my little red one a day, and a extra one that may be in the in the cubbard once in a while like some oil of oregano oh i could go on but i wont. haha Patsy
  • It is too early for me to know if the prescription Vitamin D I mention above is going to work, but I decided to research online for links on whether it is supposed to help with chronic pain. BINGO! Copy the Mayo Clinic's link below and read what these professionals are finding and watch the four minute video to see what they learned when they compare chronic pain patients and their deficiency of Vitamin D. There is a strong link and I hope it is okay to link this as it is super helpful and able to be fixed by any clinic. This one is just the one who did the study.

• I was tested by my endocrinologist the other week and found to be below low. He suggested testing me for it because he said it might help my neuropathy pain. I now take 50,000 IU twice a week for three months and then I am to be tested again. It may sound impossible but after several weeks my brain became clearer. Things just seemed to be better on the days I took it and as the week went on I seemed to become more tired. Time will tell.
  • And hearing that you're prescribed even more than I am makes me feel a tad less afraid of the 50,000 IU once a week that I'll start taking tomorrow. Do try and remember to update us further on how you're doing. It's interesting that the days you take it you feel better and as the days you don't take it you feel more tired. You've give me hope as has much of the info online that I've been reading.

We need to take what we read online with a grain of salt whether it's a vitamin company who may have a conflict of interest or a pharmaceutical who may say something negative. One great sounding site allows you to be tested through the mail for around $35. Do study up on this and ask your doctor to test you for a vitamin D deficiency if you think it makes sense. I think it sounds like anyone with chronic pain should give it a try!

In any case, so far, very promising info.
    Thanks, Dee
  • just started taking it as drops in water
  • I was started on a Prescription of a High Dose of Vitamin D to take once a week. I just found out I'm very low on Vitamin D.
    I still am experiencing Major Back Pain though. I also Researched abt Vitamin D deficiancy & heard it can cause Many Problems. Vitamin D is very important so If you can't get high Doses of Vit D it's important to get about 15-20minutes of Sun Daily.
  • I've been taking 2000iu of Vit D (D3) for several months now. I had my Vit D tested back in February...it was 44. My endo thought that number was "fine", but based on the range...it's actually on the low-end of normal. I live in cold and gloomy Chicago...we don't get much sunshine in the colder months here..which this year, is lasting well into April. So I figured supplementing with Vit D certainly couldn't hurt. I do feel a slight improvement...but I've heard it can take up to a year using OTC D3 supplements, so I'll keep taking it (it's cheap insurance!) and see how things progress down the road.

• I've had muscle tension in the neck, shoulders, back (and hamstrings more recently) for at least three years, which had been getting progresively worse. Recent blood test indicated I was low on vitamin D (21 ng/mL). Six weeks ago I started taking a single weekly dose (50,000 IU) of vitamin D and since then I have noticed a remarkable improvement! The tension and pain is pretty much gone now. I attribute the improvement to the vitamin D but will need to wait a couple more months before I can be completely certain.

It makes a lot of sense that those with unusual symptoms of chronic muscle tension and bone pain consider getting tested for vitamin D deficiency!!!
  • I just started taking D and B12 due to deficiencies, along with calcium (I'm lactose intolerant and generally don't get enough in my diet) and glucosamine. B12 deficiency can cause degeneration of the spine, like I need any more help with that!! :))( I can`t say if it is working yet or not, but I sure hope so!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • smiley735 said:
    I just started taking D and B12 due to deficiencies, along with calcium (I'm lactose intolerant and generally don't get enough in my diet) and glucosamine. B12 deficiency can cause degeneration of the spine, like I need any more help with that!! :))( I can`t say if it is working yet or not, but I sure hope so!!!

never knew lack of b12 causes ddd...
  • kikafika321 said:
    Six weeks ago I started taking a single weekly dose (50,000 IU) of vitamin D and since then I have noticed a remarkable improvement!
    Is that a prescription? I just started taking the pills this weekend and not only are they HUGE, but it says to take 2 pills twice a day and that is too much! Your way sounds much better.
  • Sorry, I just reread my post. It doesn't cause degeneration of the spine, it causes degeneration of the spinal cord, specifically Subacute Combined Degeneration (SCD). Here's a link if you're curious:

I guess I just proved the point of how careful we have to be when posting while in extreme pain or on meds!! Sorry about that.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Yes, it is a presciption. It is a reasonable size pill which I only have to take once a week.
  • I take the Calcium 600+D (400 IU of D) plus mineral tablets twice a day. The minerals in these tablets are Magnesium, Zinc, Copper and Manganese. I also take a multi vitamin/multi mineral capsule, an Omega 3 fish oil caplet and one dose of sublingual liquid B complex... each day.

The Calcium tablets and Omega 3 fish oil caplets were recommended by my PM doctor about 4 months ago. When you look up the benefits of Omega 3 fish oil, it's very interesting. It is beneficial for all sorts of ailments, including back pain and depression. Also, memory! My hubby takes it for his heart, per his cardiologist's request.

Kelly - I think you are going to find relief from what you are taking. It sometimes takes a couple of weeks to notice a difference. Like the others have mentioned... 15 minutes in the sun and fresh air is superb!

May everyone experience extra relief from these supplements!

• I have always had an "allergy" to vitamins, esp when hearing too much of it can cause dementia or psychosis a long time ago. I sure wish they would make those pills smaller. It's hard enough to take meds for chronic pain everyday, but I do realize that I need supplements. My husband's been trying to get me to take vitamins too. I would rather get my Vitamin D from food sources such as milk, orange juice, etc as well as calcium. I also am perimenopausal. I'd better get on the ball, huh?
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    My doctor started me on vitamin D about four weeks ago. He gave me 50,000 IU to take one a day for a week and then take one twice a week for four more weeks. This sounded like really a lot to me. Should I have also been taking calcium with this? So far I don't feel any results. How long should it take to notice a change? I also get a lot of sunshine. Thanks you all. I hope you're all feeling great today.
  • Hi Sunny and others,

I have been taking a prescription strength of 50,000IUs of Vitamin D once a week for 3 months now. So far, nothing. :-( I may as well be taking M&Ms. BUT... I have not given up on it yet either. My GP is the one who tested me and said that I am only a level of 10 - one of the lowest he's seen, so I am wondering if it will take me longer since I'm starting so depleted. I've got a family history of skin cancer and have had it drilled into me to cover up, stay out of the noon day sun, use sunscreen, etc. I am rarely in the sun for long without protecting my fair skin. And I live in the northern part of the country/USA where the sun is lower on the horizon - all of these things count.

My GP has decided to NOT re-test me yet because he thinks it may take up to 6 months to see results instead of his original guess of just 3.

As for Sunny, are you taking too much? I don't know, but I'd ask my doctor if I were you since you are taking more than anyone else on here to date. He/she might have good reasons and it'll put your mind at ease (or not.)

Anyone else have Vitamin D stories to tell?
  • The best way to get your Vitamin D without having to take supplements is to spend 30 minutes a day in the sun, with as much skin exposed as you're comfortable exposing (and without violating local nudity ordinances :))( ), with no sunscreen.

Just 30 minutes will trigger your body to produce the equivalent of ~10,000IU of Vitamin D naturally and you don't have to worry about taking more supplements to balance out calcium, magnesium, etc. Sometimes ya just gotta love the way mother nature works things out for us. ;)
  • Anyone have trouble swallowing the large pills? I've had my esophagus stretched twice, but it was before my ACDF. Now I have trouble swallowing a lot of stuff..bread, meat,and especially large pills! I'm supposed to take a gazillion of them, magnesium, calcium, iron, neurontin, osteo-flex.all the bone stuff. Not vitamin D, as I'm a sun worshipper, get mine the natural way. But I'm very haphazard on taking pills. Any suggestions to make them go down better? And don't say a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down! =)) (I'm not Mary Poppins either, LOL)
  • I would be breaking every law known to mankind if I went ANYWHERE in the nude =)) Let's just say if I were to go swimming, I'd require no flotation device :))(
  • Hi folks, I still live in pain since surgery. I still have not healed (graft) since surgery. noted to have osteo and weakening muscle strenght. Anyone else run into this?? :?? Stenonis increasing unable to walk quickly, hand motor skill loss, spasms and electrical like shocks in left arm.

I had on 11/2/09 ACD C4 - C-7. VBR C-5-6 strut graft & plate with posterior fusion. Now both hands are losing motor functions. Can't type now (used to type 60 wpm) On Cypanate 200mg inj weekly, 50K vit D. Sleep is hard to come by and still iunable to retain minerals. I do get at least 30 min of sun daily.
  • because I have ostopenia, one step away from osteoporosis.(sp)Haven't noticed any reduction in pain levels from it.I'm going to add fish oil to the mix and see if that helps. Between my husband and myself, we could open a small pharmacy with all the meds we take.
This discussion has been closed.