Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second Pain Management Appointment - Anxious?

KaitlinRCAKKaitlinRCA Posts: 1
edited 08/25/2015 - 3:22 PM in Chronic Pain
I'll start by saying hello! I've browsed the forums often when I was looking for answers regarding my back pain and finally decided to join. A little background, when I was three I was run over by a lawn mower which took all of my toes and half of the muscle in my leg, causing life long knee pain. When I was 16 I was in a car accident where I broke C2 T3 T4 and my collar bone. After fusion I suffer from ulnar nerve pain, upper back pain, neck pain, and headaches. After having my daughter at 21 the pain was so tremendous that I endeavored on my long journey for relief from this debilitating pain. I finally have gotten into pain management after 2 years where on my first appointment the doctor told me it was a miracle I was even walking, looked at my MRI for less than thirty seconds, apologized that I'd been through so much, wrote me a prescription for hydrocodone 3 times a day and sent me on my way. After researching what my first appointment would be like for weeks I was relieved that it was all so easy. My next appointment is on Friday, I am scheduled to see the nurse practitioner which has me nervous because I do have some concerns. My pain is well controlled throughout the day, but by around 5 o clock I am in agony and cannot take any more meds (I definitely do not want to be kicked out of pain management after I worked so hard to get there for "self escalation of pain medication"). My question is how do I bring it to the nurse's attention that I would like to explore the possibility of adding a longer lasting medication in the morning to provide me better relief? Is she going to look at me like an addict for expressing these concerns at my second appointment? I've been treated like a medical leper for so long because of my constant pain complaints that any interactions that I have with doctors about it makes me INCREDIBLY anxious.
Thank you!

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 554
    edited 08/25/2015 - 10:08 AM
    I would be open & honest with the doctor. Tell them what times during the day you take your pain meds & what time you felt relief from them. Also tell them the length of time you got some relief. Maybe start a pain diary & document it all. That way, you won't come across like you're asking for more meds.
  • Hi there,
    I am so sorry for your long journey of pain. After reading your story I was wondering if you have considered a functional rehabilitation program. It is a program that focuses on healing your body as a whole. Each program is a bit different, but typically they incorporate physical therapy, behavioral medicine, and interventional pain management. If you would like more information or have any questions I would be happy to be of help!
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/27/2015 - 9:16 AM
    had more than one's share. I have about 60 yrs of lower back and body wide OA and use a lot of alternatives that help "calm" pain which I use along with ibuprofen and other alternative pain reducers. If you'd like to hear what I use, let me know and I'll send you a private message. Over many years, my issues got all worse with hip replacement surgery, a real trauma to the body as I see it now.

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Liz, Spine-Health System Moderator
    Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    Okay, I just typed out my whole story, similar to yours, and my computer said "no"! And deleted it!

So, in a shorter version, I started on short term meds to develop a tolerance to opiates. After being on the shorter acting oxycodone MS-Contin (extended release morphine) was added. (It took a month to increase my tolerance.) I'm still on the same amount of MS-Contin (about 10 months) and take oxycodone for break through pain. I also take Lyrica for breakthrough pain. We play around with the Lyrica more than with the opiates but all in all, I'm doing okay.

I hope you find your pain clinic as supportive and caring as I do mine.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)