Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question and need help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all i'm new to the forum but I am going to post as much info about myself and my problem to have someone help me out.

I have went to the doctor about 2 months ago maybe a month ago, and I was having muscle spasms from what the doctor said, and I had the mri / x-ray and all that done. Now it's gradually gotten worse, 2 days ago I went to the chiro to get it slipped back into place my l5 or whatever disc that is keeps going out. I am stuck in a rut because right now I don't have health insurance so I can't go to the doctor to get an MRI or CATSCAN like I did.

The pain is sort of weird it will create pain on both sides of my back left and right and when I sit in usually effects both sides also, I am 22 also. I did alot of heavy lifting for the past 4-5 years also.. hmm If i am sitting down and I try to bend down about halfway it feels like a knife is poking out of my back or somebody is pinchin me in the middle of my spine right above the butt crack... I am very confused as to what to do, I don't want surgery or any type of shot i am scared to death of needles, I just want to fix this and make it go away.

Is there any excersies that will help me or anything to do cure this?

• would be soooo nice but sometimes there is no easy fix. It sounds like it may be facet pain but a doc would really have to diagnose that. Do you ever have a hard time straightening up after bending/sitting/laying down?
  • Hy there, do you have access to county health care? ya neeed to find the cause rikki tikki! low back pain means some thing is not right,now to avoid any future possible issues,your gonna need a diagnosis.Its the smart way to go about things, now is no the time to power through, .
    find access to med care quickly before you have a worse situation arise from leaving it be. You say you do a lot of heavy lifting,weight training,work? either way your future work life may be affected, yes i am being alarmist,but i had a tendancy to power through,and here i am, there is no tough guy here, only concern for each other. so please as soon as you can go to seek medical help..at the worst,you will find out whats going on.at best it will be a false alarm. I am on county indigent help here coz i dont work,from the injuries i continously agravated,and workmens comp has me over a barrel.so do the right thing
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• with ranch. Immediate help may be necessary in order to avoid permanent damage.
  • yes i can get up fairly easy..i went to the chiropractor 2 days ago and my l5 was unaligned so he put it back into place with me layind down on each side and putting my back into alignement on both sides, felt great after he did it and only had a LITTLE bit of pain, with no muscle spasms, i went to sleep that night, woke up and it had came back and started to feel heavy pain once again, I get muscle spasms alot. 3 days ago on a 1-10 pain it was about a 9 1/2 now its at about a 4-5..but I am putting ice on it as we speak is this good to do? im gonna start excersiging more, he said my leg muscles were very weak in my calves so im gonna start doin that too any tips info? thank you
  • you, but I too went to chiro at first. He did more damage than good. Eventhough I did get some pain relief. Ice is good as long as you do it 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. You really need to see some type of doc rather than chiro just to make sure that something is not seriously wrong. What did the MRI that you had 2 months ago reveal? If the pain ever goes all the way down your leg to foot you will need to get medical help asap. Did the doc that you saw 2 months ago say that it was just muscles after seeing the MRI? If that is the case than you may need to just take it easy and let it heal and use the ice 20 on / 20 off.
  • im tellin you man i went 2 months ago to the hospital becus it was unbareable, got a catscan/mri and doc just said it was muscle spasms, it's been 2 months but all i have done was laid in bed and then it started to worsen up the last couple of weeks, now i went to the chiro i feel better now, but a little pain so now im tryin ice..i hate this i feel so miserable and worthless it sucks..i got bills thats going to accumulate if this dont fix and it sucks
  • after putting a rice pad on it tonight (warm) feels a little bit bettter the pain is right above my right butt cheek and feels like poking pinch sorta..any suggestions? would excersise cure this? if so, can anybody give me a site?
  • well check it out, it seems as if most of my pain is gone, i have applied heat to the area that has bothered me the most and :jawdrop: suprisingly it is gone! it must have been muscle spasms and i wasnt applying heat or ice to it just layin down all day for the past 2 months, so what i suggest for people in pain, go to the chiro get your l5 put back into place both left and ride sides give it a day to rest and fix itself a little, also, after having it done try not to twist or move very fast just baby it for a day and lay down then when you get up the next day if you feel slightly less pain, and feel spasms apply ice 2 times then start with the heat, suprisingly i get no more spasms this is insane..crazy how a body works, im going to bed now so when i get up i will let you guys know how everything is
  • ahh its back again today...idk what else to do with this its like in my hips and middle of my lower back
  • anything anybody? im in pain, my side hips are hurting and the middle of my back like the hips on my lower back hurt
  • Anytime you have suffered from the kind of pain you have been experiencing significant muscle weakness occurs very quickly. In fact several studies have shown that the muscle atrophy can occur in as little as 72 hours. The book mentioned above is a very good resource, this pain will probably pass, yet the weakness will remain making you a prime candidate for another episode. So get the book and begin the exercises, if it doesn't improve find a new doctor to go to. It can be an MD or DC trust me there are many chiropractors with much more knowledge about back pain then your average MD and the other way around. You just need to find someone who really focuses on back pain and you'll be ok. Good luck.

Dr. Randall Pruitt, DC,DACNB, DAAPM, MUAC
  • the pain has not passed though..it's been 2 months and its pretty much at the point of where it started on a 1-10 the pain right now is a 4 maybe a 5 compared to a 10 where it was at...i dont know what it could be at all..i'll get muscle spasms right in the circle spot then it'll jolt to my fingertips to my calves and lower back area..im not sure what it is...i've laid in bed everyday for 2 months hoping this would help and ocassionally go out over my friends and drink and stuff but that doesnt seem to help..im not sure what it is, right in that circle spot if i try to bend it just feels as if theres a knife right there at that spot and gets even worse when i bend more but and mri and cat scan didnt show nothing they just said it was a muscle spasm..this being a chinese doctor too..idk what else to do ...
  • Can you see a MD? You might want to ask for flexion/extension xrays and ask for some meds to help calm down the muscle spasm and get the pain under control.

The MD and xrays would be far cheaper than seeing a NS and having another MRI.

My flex/ext xrays showed my problem which the numerous Chiro's never saw because they didn't do flex/ext xrays only the standing neutral ones.

Hang in there,

This discussion has been closed.