Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Starting MS Contin tonight

My PM doctor is starting me on MS Contin tonight.

(Side note: he wanted me to take Zohydro but insurance doesn't cover it, then he opted for oxycodone ER but insurance doesn't cover that either)

Those of you taking MS Contin, or who have taken MS Contin, what were your experiences with it? Did it work well, side effects, etc.

• GM12. Just sent you a PM.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    is in the family of the ER Extended Release medications.

There primary focus is to provide the patient with an even amount of pain medications throughout the day. Doing this, you should not have times during the day when you are in more pain than others. Many doctors also prescribe a breakthrough pain medication to help throughout the day.

One thing to always remember, is NEVER to break or crush any extended release pain medications. There are some very serious side effects in doing that, one especially could result in respiratory failure.

Over the years, I was on several different types of ER pain medications. They all did their job, providing me with an even keel of pain relief during the day. Eventually, I was also able to reduce the amount of breakthrough I was using.

Now, this is not medical fact, just purely my views. ER medications are great for getting someone "over the hump" or past a bad period.
    But once that is successful, the use of ER should be reduced and the standard IR immediate relief medications should take over.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Just wondering how you are getting along with the MS Contin. I sure hope it is working well for you. Please let me know.

• I don't feel like it is working well as of yet. For example, my pain goes from an 8 to about a 6.5, nor does it last 12 hours (about 7). I'm still taking 10/325 hydrocodone for BT & Soma which reduces my pain to a 3-4. The hydrocodone and Soma have been working well for me, which my doctor has no problem with, but he wants to reduce my acetaminophen intake as much as possible.
  • I know it took my body a bit to adjust. There are times that it doesn't last the full 12 hours for me and doctor told me to take a bt dose when that happens. Hey if it ends up not being a good fit for you, there are other options to try. The least amount of acetaminophen you ingest the better. Keep us updated!

• This stuff almost drove me to suicide. Never blocked the pain and I ended up self-medicating with alcohol and cannabis concurrently. Maybe I don't have the right kind of personality to take it, but I never, ever intend to take it again (certainly outside of a hospital). Ron Dilaurio is right: never, ever break the tablets. I was stupid enough to do so with booze and it could have cost me my life.
    Have you considered a selective spinal nerve block? Had I gone for one months ago, I would have saved myself a lot of trouble and pain.
    Osteochondrosis S1
    Herniation L4/5, L5/S1
    Lumbar straightening
  • OK, I can understand that the pain relief wasn't sufficient for you, we all know that can happen, but that certainly doesn't justify the use of alcohol and cannabis. Using alcohol with Prescription pain meds is dangerous in itself but when you start breaking or crushing the pills as well....Wow!

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think the MS Contin was to blame as much as was your reaction to not getting the pain relief you expected. It does take time for any ER med to build up in your system. That's why Doctor's usually want you to give it a month before making any changes.

Hope that you find some pain relief soon but if you continue misusing meds, you may find yourself with nothing.

• DJWL5S1DDJWL5S1 Posts: 20
    edited 09/15/2015 - 10:20 AM

you are exactly right about the substance abuse. What annoys me is that my doc did not assess me psychologically when he prescribed the morphine. I had repeatedly voiced my concerns about getting hooked/abusing (ok, I didn't admit to breaking the tabs - I'm an addict!). He also knew I liked a drink and acted as if this stuff was as innocuous as cough sweets, reassuring me that I wouldn't get hooked, abuse it or go crazy on it. I was on it for a total of nearly 5 months with a 3 week break in June. I began on 20mg a day and finished on 50 - the pain I was in would have required more. It just sent me spiralling out of control.
    It has now been over a fortnight since the selective nerve root block and the pain relief is outstanding. I still feel it, my foot goes numb and my entire leg tingles, occasionally weakening at the knees. But you know what? I have been going to the pool every 3 days, have lost 5 kilos, have quit drinking and cannabis (I still smoke cigs) and just wish I had not wasted 5 months of my life on [edit] morphine!
    Osteochondrosis S1
    Herniation L4/5, L5/S1
    Lumbar straightening
  • n2bravesnn2braves Posts: 68
    edited 09/15/2015 - 10:27 AM
    When I read my post just now, I sounded a little judgemental and I certainly didn't mean to come across that way. I really do understand after seeing Doctors regarding pain for the last 22 years how your situation can happen. Seen Doctors at both ends of the spectrum. Ones who give narcotic scripts for just about everything and if you voice concerns, act like you are an idiot and the ones who God only knows what kind of pain you would have to be in to get any out of them. One time in my Doctor's office when I was waiting for him to come in, I could hear the Doctor on the other side of the wall tell a patient with a broken leg that all they needed was high doses of Ibuprofen! Wow! Really??

I had a taste of what you are talking about when a Neuro put me on Stadol NS at least a dozen years ago or so. I built up a tolerance extremely fast and was having withdrawals if I didn't take enough. He told me it was just my body adjusting to the meds(after 6 months!) which was complete [edit]. I got out of there, found a new doctor and changed meds. I have never had problems like that with any other med but it was frightening for me. I felt out of control.

I don't think you are an addict because you had difficulties with a particular drug. Besides that, you saw the problem and took control. Listen, it takes guts and alot of inner strength to accomplish what you have. I am so happy that you found an alternative to the narcotics. I hope that happens for me sometime down the line. Anyway, keep up the good work and PM me anytime if you need to talk. I too am losing weight right now and it would be so nice to have someone to talk to when it gets difficult for me.