Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Images of my MRI scan

cindy2015ccindy2015 Posts: 26
edited 08/24/2015 - 11:14 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi there, please could anyone be able to look at these images and comment whether they look similar to scans you have had, or whether you think they look bad? I have disc bulges from C4-C7, and canal stenosis at C7 and left nerve root impingement.
I feel ready to opt for surgery now but my hospital in Salford UK keep making me wait, also tell me that I am not a good candidate for surgery. I don't actually know why I am not a good candidate, but it scares me to death.

No one on the Spine-Health patient forums is medically qualified to provide any advice or recommendations on any diagnostic test, these links maybe helpful
Liz, Spine-health moderator

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I wish I could believe the surgeons when they say my disc problem does not need operating on yet. With feeling off-balanced and having a feeling of blood rushing and being out of breath when I bend forward, it makes me think they are missing something? Scans lying down could miss what happens as you move and bend, I am going to ask for a weight bearing scan next month, but I bet they say no. Grrrrr can't diagnose myself, but somehow know this is gettibg worse. :-( frustrating.
  • TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 265
    edited 08/27/2015 - 6:29 AM
    A flex/extended MRI might be revealing as well. It doesn't look like your cord is compressed on these views but close to it on the sagittals, but your axials are pretty boring - in my untrained opinion.
    Have you sought out a second opinion? Is your neuro exam normal?

6.03 You agree not to respond to any request for analysis of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.)
    Nobody on the forum is medically qualified or permitted to give advice any responses will be based on members personal experiences only

Liz -spine-health moderator

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• cindy2015ccindy2015 Posts: 26
    edited 08/27/2015 - 6:30 AM
    I saw a neurosurgeon and he did basic tests like watching me walk in a straight line, follow his pen with my eyes, reflexes etc... I had a brain scan MRI in 2012 which came back normal, except they said there was some bright spots whichcould be superficial. I will ask for a different scan, but on the NHS in the UK it is like getting blood out of a stone getting any help. I am feeling off-balanced when bending or looking down, it might be that a different scan will show more. Out of curiosity what do you mean my axials look boring? :-D
    Thank you for your input.

6.02 You agree not to ask for any analysis or interpretation of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.),
    Liz -spine-health moderator
  • BManBBMan Posts: 113
    edited 08/27/2015 - 11:36 AM
    cindy2015 said:
    I feel ready to opt for surgery now but my hospital in Salford UK keep making me wait, also tell me that I am not a good candidate for surgery. I don't actually know why I am not a good candidate, but it scares me to death.
    You know, just last Monday, I went to see my own neurosurgeon. I always invite my wife along for the big appointments because there is ALWAYS information I miss or interpret incorrectly. (It's actually amazing what I hear versus what the doctor says. I expect a large part of it is because I am so emotionally invested.) Anyways, on this appointment, I came with a list of questions but didn't ask them all, which I regretted. So, on Tuesday, I called the clinic back. They really surprised me by forwarding me to the clinic manager, who reviews every case. I had already written my question down (I get nervous and flustered), and she was able to explain to me what constitutes a "spinal" emergency and how I could get help from them even if I needed to get checked out at an ER. I even wrote down the 3 conditions she told me are reason to visit an ER.

I encourage you to call back the clinic you went to. Maybe you can speak with a PA or the manager. It's a shot in the dark, but you could be pleasantly surprised to talk with someone who will help you to understand why you're not a good candidate for surgery (if that is the case).
  • BMan, thank you so much for your post. I always take my husband, he actually asks more questions than I do. But you still only have minutes and we both don't get all our questions out. My appointment is next month and I will do what you have advised if they won't explain everything to me. It is truly awful being left in the dark, the neurologist asked me why they haven't offered me an operation? I said that I did not know, he thought it was wrong as he could see my quality of life has greatly suffered because of this. One good thing is that because I had complained to PALS about not being seen within the 18 weeks they promise, when the secretary told me the other day that the surgeon I am under has cancelled 50% of his appointments this year, she still fit me in. I guess if you push a little they can see you.
    I am too soft for my own good, so when they fob me off I just go home and cry. The frustration is building because I know I haven't been taken seriously, yet suffer greatly a lot of the time.
  • aimee roseaaimee rose Posts: 18
    edited 08/28/2015 - 8:57 PM
    You poor thing! I truly feel for you and your situation. Have you been checked by any other physicians? Either for a second opinion, is that an option in the UK? Perhaps it isn't spinal related, as in your dizziness upon bending down, etc.. If I was you, I'd also have a physical done, just to check all your bases..
  • cindy2015ccindy2015 Posts: 26
    edited 08/29/2015 - 3:37 AM
    Thank you amie rose, I have had numerous blood tests, brain scan, nerve conduction tests and that's it really . I don't know what other tests can be done, when I bend and get a blood rushing sensation and feel off-balanced, I think it is down to the stenosis at C7. I am keen to be scanned in different positions to see if this shows cord compression at that level. They are not very helpful in the UK, at least [edit] has come to a diagnosis of 'go take pills and go away' approach. But it took me a long time to get over taking pregabalin which caused loads of problems for me. They left me taking pregabalin, omeprazole, naproxen and tramadol for three years solid without even thinking about the side effects I was having. I stopped taking a lot of drugs because the bad outweighed the good. Pharmacists used to stop me and say I was taking a lot and that I should really have a review of my medication. Doctors here are keen to prescribe and do very little. I believe if I had medical insurance I would have been offered an operation or a more accurate diagnosis would be done a lot sooner.
    It isn't that I want to rush into an operation, its just difficult to be out of work and not feel up to much. Hubby looks after me well, I am a very lucky woman in that respect. I hate to moan about things because I actually do feel really lucky, love life and see the world in a good light. Pain has an awful effect on the brain sometimes, and I can feel quite cross at how little help you get in these situations at times.