Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgical pain - in another area of my back

Hi everyone. It has been awhile since I was on here but need some advice.

On June 3rd 2015 I had a 3 level cervical fusion of C4 thru C7 with a corpectomy at C5. Everything went exceptionally well and although I still have some discomfort at the neck of I move it to far, it is quite tolerable. I am still in a hard collar when I sleep and anytime I leave my house. I will be in that situation until I see the surgeon in October.
I did have some issues with one of the nerves that controls heart rate and blood pressure easy on causing a feinting spell and about 10 weeks of near black outs. We know it was that nerve because everything else had been ruled out. My heart, adrenal function. Ugh....it was not fun going through all of that right after spine surgery. That has improved greatly.

Here is my biggest issue and it is debilitating. I have very severe pain in my mid back. It feels like someone is actually stabbing me right under my right shoulder blade. The pain goes all the way across my back and radiates into my ribs on both sides. When I saw my surgeon at the end of July, he thought it might be muscular in nature caused by wearing the collar 24/7 for so long. Now, I remove that collar almost the entire day since July 30 unless I am out of the house which is not often.

I had some of this pain prior to my surgery especially if I am doing things that I use my arm for. Cooking, cleaning, even sitting in a chair using an iPad or computer. Since surgery that pain is there 24/7 and no matter what position I try to get in, it feels like my back is breaking in half at the middle. I can handle a lot of pain. I have had a lumbar fusion and 3 levels in my cervical spine and didn't cry once.

This pain is wearing me down to the point where I am becoming very emotional. There is no possible way I could even try working at this point. I have an eBay site where I am selling off a rather huge collection and it is difficult even focusing on it. My hubby has had to help me and I can get through maybe 15 minutes before I cannot tolerate it anymore. I am loosing rest.

Has anyone else experienced pain like this? I am going to push on my orthopedics surgeon but I don't see him until October and he is in Minnesota. I am in Wisconsin where we moved recently.

Any thoughts?

• Hello. I get this stabbing pain under my shoulder blades which goes into my rib cage, I was told that my muscles are in spasm after having a nerve conduction test. But one surgeon said that I have some misalignment, and that there isn't much that can be done about it.
    Oh it is frustrating and painful, I really feel for you, especially after surgery when you just want to feel better not worse.
    The only things I have felt help me with this sort of pain is heat and muscle relaxants taken at night.
    I hope you feel better soon.
  • I am using a heating pad most of the day and taking muscle relaxers at night but the moment I try to do anything besides sit on my butt the pain is excruciating.
    I heard trigger point injections might help too.