Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Allergic to opoiates & super sensitive to muscle relaxers

Taraward80TTaraward80 TexasPosts: 20
edited 08/25/2015 - 1:04 PM in Pain Medications
It seems like there is nothing I can take with this present surgery. Side effects of all the meds I've tried are just too much to handle. Tried taking a .5mg of Flexeril today and slept all day and now have this horrible hangover feeling from it. Can't take Soma. Can't take anything without horrible side effects.

In the hospital they had to give me a toddlers dosage of Percocet and still I wanted to stop breathing. Even this Flexeril I took my breathing is extremely labored and my chest feels tight and my jaw is clenched. Has anyone out there had issues with medications like this? My first surgery in 2004 (12 vert fusion) I was on Vicodin, Soma & Neurontin and I was fine. Now I can't take any of that. Ugh.... Frustrated.
12 vertabrae fusion 2004 w/ rods for scoliosis. July 30, 2015 Discectomy & Laminectomy w/ mesh built disc & spacer, fusion one level down, new rods & new screws. Allergic to opioids. No medication except Valium & Tylenol.

• Allergies, but rather side effects you are dealing with. ALL medications have side effects, drowsiness being one of the most common.
    Flexibility commonly causes drowsiness when you first start taking it. It typically subsides after a few weeks of taking it on a regular basis.
    Most side effects will disappear over time. Hangovers of drowsiness usually also disappear after your body adjusts to the medication.

• Taraward80TTaraward80 TexasPosts: 20
    edited 08/28/2015 - 3:00 AM
    What about when your blood pressure drops to 53/70 and your breathing is labored. My left arm goes numb as well when I took it. My chest got really tight and it stayed that way for about 15-20 hrs after my dosage. In your opinion is that enough side effects to stop and try something less scary?

Nobody on the forum is medically qualified or permitted to give medical advice , I suggest you talk to a medical professional to get advice on this reaction
    12 vertabrae fusion 2004 w/ rods for scoliosis. July 30, 2015 Discectomy & Laminectomy w/ mesh built disc & spacer, fusion one level down, new rods & new screws. Allergic to opioids. No medication except Valium & Tylenol.
  • Your symptoms with your doctor.

• CherylCCCherylC Posts: 185
    edited 08/28/2015 - 7:51 AM
    I have a problem metabolising medications and so, while not actually allergic, am classed as extremely sensitive. I have to explain the problem to every doctor and anaesthetist so that they don't overdose me. I overdosed on morphine within 20 hours of surgery. I had the PCP and was getting in trouble because I wasn't pressing the button. Next thing I knew there were all these people in my room and a crash cart because my blood pressure was dangerously low. Took them a while to figure out what was going wrong. Another time I ended up in ICU because I wasn't breathing when they brought me out of the anaesthetic.

After much careful monitoring and some serious issues with trial and error, I am finally settled on Fentanyl patches. When I have surgery I have to stay in hospital on oxygen and being monitored until they have me stabilised on the meds before I can go home. It's now a pattern we understand and it almost always takes 12-13 days before I can go home.

You sound like you may have a similar problem. It's not common so doctors don't necessarily recognise it straight up. You need to talk to your pain management doctor about the side effects - he may need to try other drugs or lower your doses.

I can't take Lyrica or anything like it to control neuropathy and am stuck with Fentanyl for pain and diazepam for muscle spasms. One knocks me out and the other makes me so nauseous at times that it takes a combination of anti nausea meds to calm it down. Life is a balance between how much drugs I can tolerate without overdosing and how much pain I can live with.