Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG Questions

Hi Everyone,

I had an ACDF where they basically fused C3 all the way to C7. Never been in this much pain in my life. I'm seeing multiple doctors because my Neurosurgeon keeps telling me I'm getting better and that's not the case at all.

My question is about an EMG I have coming up on the 2nd of September. Are those painful? I read one lady said something about a snapping/cracking noise. That would absolutely terrify me. My test is scheduled to be 3 hours long since they are testing my entire body to see which nerve roots are damaged and which peripheral nerves are dead/dying. I'm very anxious about this and I don't know what to expect.

Anyone have any advice/pointers/experience with this? I'd appreciate anyone's information, stories!

Thanks in advance!
ACDF's from C3-C7. Osteoarthritis in T1-T2

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Though if you are really skirmish about needles, you might not like the test. Depending on where they are doing the testing (upper arms or lower legs) they use different needles and the impulses need to be different.

EMG/NCS Video
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi there,
    I had one of these recently and I was really worried about it too. Mainly because the cervical epidural steroid injections I've had in my neck brought me to tears and some people say those don't hurt. My emg/nerve conduction test lasted about and hour. It didn't make me cry! It hurt, but it only lasted a few seconds. It is tolerable. And I say that having had someone do it that needed to be supervised. Yes, there was a doctor in the room watching him do it - not promising, I know. But my point is that it's tolerable.
  • Thanks for the advice! I feel a lot better about it now. I am terrified of needles, but as long as I don't watch them, I think I will do okay. The test is supposed to last 3 hours and they are going to do my entire body. That's the part that made me nervous. That's a long time to be stuck with needles everywhere. Yikes!
    ACDF's from C3-C7. Osteoarthritis in T1-T2