Anyone have any advice for me - I am scheduled for an L5/S1 discectomy on 8th September?
It's been 13 and a half weeks so far that I have had sciatica problems. Left side - severe stabbing/throbbing pain in my buttock and thigh, burning in my calf, occasional aching ankle, and numb side of foot and toes.
I haven't been able to walk propery (fully straight - hence the new nickname from my loving family), stand for any length of time, or sit for more than about 60 seconds without extreme pain. Sitting of the worst of them all. Hence I cannot drive, or work at my office, or even sit in a wheelchair like a normal person when walking is hard (I have to kneel on them). I am working from home (lieing down) on a laptop.
I have gradually progressed up all the usual drugs - naproxen / cocodamol / tried amitriptyline / gabapentin / and now also fentanyl patches and oxycode tablets for breakthrough pain. The opiates are a problem all on their own sometimes as on some (bad) days I throw up like 10 times a day and it's worse than the pain itself, and on those days I usually just fantasize about lieing down in the middle of the road in front of a nice local bus. My mum bought me some over the counter anti-sickness meds on one of those bad days, but typically my contrary body decided that was cue to immediately throw up, so I've given up on those ...
Some days I am counting the days 'til the surgery and I don't know how I can go on. Some days it's not too bad (neither the pain or nausea), and I wonder what I'm making such a big fuss about.
My prolapsed disc (found on MRI) is very large.
Typically, early GPs told me it would get better by itself, etc. etc. And then even after getting the MRI results the consultants and surgeons have been 'sceptical'/ rude. I think they just try and put everyone off, to filter out anyone who isn't completely sure. What part of 'I'm eating my meals lieing on a doggie blanket on the floor rather than sitting with my family, and I'm on enough pain meds to become a total mess if I'm on them long term', and 'I'm not that far away from losing my job' screams 'yeah I can wait a year to get better' to these idiots?
Anyway, barring any significant improvement before the op, that is what I am still planning to go ahead with. I want to take decisive action to at least try and put this behind me. Any general advice on the surgery itself, or before/after, or anything useful would be appreciated.