Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Moving cross-country soon

In about a year, I will be moving to the other side of the country. It's a necessary move but I have some concerns. I will have to change insurance plans (I'm on a South Florida Humana plan, as a dependent), which can take a while in itself. Then once I get new insurance, I have to find a new PCP; you usually have to wait a while to get an appointment as a new patient, then get a referral for pain management, which also takes a while, then wait for an appointment with the new PM. Where my main concern comes in is that on most days, I cannot walk without my meds; nor can I focus on tasks because the pain is overbearing. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should handle this situation? I have a follow-up with my PM doctor in about 3 weeks, and I'm going to discuss it with him. But I am interested in hearing your feedback as well.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    your current set of doctors.
    They should be able to help you with some referrals to out of state doctors. They are also going to be instrumental in generating the
    rationale and justifications for all of your medications.

Also, Spine-Health offers this service Find a Doctor Its not all inclusive , it contains a list of those doctors who have been registered and approved by Spine-Health

I would give yourself plenty of time to do all of this. Some states are very difficult. For instance, I live in CT, I've been going to the same physiatrist for over 8 years now and she writes all of my prescriptions. I was going to New York for an extended vacation and contacted the same pharmacies in NY. None of them would accept my CT doctor's prescriptions. I was told I would need to find a doctor in NY, have them take me on and determine what medications I would be prescribed. Its not a black and white situation and many states differ with their policies.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • This happened to me last year. Although I didn't move, I changed jobs and they had different insurance. The insurance group I am now with is very, very strict on medications as everything is considered "too dangerous". (Background: I have had one 3-level cervical surgery and two 1-level lumbar surgeries. The surgeon who looked at my MRI from last November said I will need another lumbar surgery, but it's a toughy so we're waiting as long as possible.)

So I found a doc I liked and he took me off all the meds I was currently using and had been using for years (10mg Norco/ 5-6 times a day and 5mg Valium as needed). I was afraid this would happen, but I did titrate down to nothing in a matter of about five months. Once that was done, I found a new doctor and told her up front that I was seeing her because she has prescribed pain medications before and my new surgeon said they would help and she agreed. So now I'm back to 5-10mg hydrocodone a day and flexiril for spasms.

I don't know if something like this will happen to you, but I think it's common for a new doc to want to start from scratch. Although I had a hard time coming off the meds, I liked how I was feeling without them, not physically, but mentally.

I hope that things go well for you and look forward to hearing how it goes.
  • Ron, how did the situation ultimately play out? If you don't mind sharing.

Cath, how long did it take for you to see a new doctor after changing insurance? Thankfully I don't get any mental side effects from my current set of meds, which I was worried about because they have a reputation for doing so.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Time was not on my side. I had to do a lot of driving back and forth to get my medications
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com