Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

today I worked cutting logs and digging

craigjxbccraigjxb Posts: 2
edited 08/29/2015 - 7:42 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After 2 years , being really careful about what I did , ( i had a L4 L5 L5 S1 fusion) , I went out and basically went back to what I used to do .
I chainsawed trees , cut two down , cut up the timber into firewood sizes , and dug out 3 stumps. Im really sore , but it is only the muscles surrounding the fusion ..
Im nervous about how the next few days will be / but really happy to finally get back to doing some bloke stuff.
I would appreciate some advice , if anyone has really got back to their old hard work

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I know what you are saying, at times in the past 35 years, I've done some of what you are talking about.
    Paid the price
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • dilauro said:
    I know what you are saying, at times in the past 35 years, I've done some of what you are talking about.
    Paid the price
    Can you elaborate. Paid the price as in? 1) Short term pain 2) long term pain 3)require another surgery?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Mostly in short term flare ups (3-5 weeks)
    1 additional surgery for sure L4/L5
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 160
    edited 08/30/2015 - 5:11 AM
    What took you a day to do. Might take 3 days to do now. I was able to cut my grass in two hours. Now it takes 3 days, Do alittle every day. I have 24/7 pain from a large fusion. If I try to much one day, im done for days. Can hardly walk. I hate pain pills. Its only been 8 months for me. Take your time and go slow. I do. I am not going to have another surgery. This one was bad enough.
    Greg fisher
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 728
    Dear Craigjxb

I think you are just asking for trouble... but that is just my personal opinion.

I had a an L4-L5-S1 PLIF fusion in May of 2013... after 12 months of recovery and PT I felt like a million bucks. So I went back to doing the bloke stuff just like you. It felt really great and satisfying. Unfortunately it only lasted for about 4-5 months until I started to feel at first some minor siactic pain in my lower right leg which within a few weeks grew to be an intolerable pain down the full length of my leg. I went in for some scans and doctor said that I had badly herniated my L3-L4 disc and that it was crushing my spinal nerve column... I had also 'broken' the L5-S1 fusion. I was devastated and ending up going back in for a second round of surgery.

The doctor said that for the rest of my life (I'm 62) that even if I feel good I should limit what I lift to no more than 5 kgs as the large fused L4-L5-S1 lumbar will 'over stress' the L3-L4 disc (not fused) and cause it to herniate again. He said that if that occured he would have to fuse the L3-L4 lumbar and from there things would probably domino up my back due the large section of fused lower lumbar mass pressing on the smaller upper discs.

Considering all of the months of pain, surgery trama, and many many months of recovery I plan to listen to the doctor 100% this time. I would rather give-up some of the bloke stuff for a surgery free/pain free life. Sure it hurts to say/do that but such is life sometimes... I've grown to accept that I can't do what I did when I was 15-20 years younger... in fact it was those actions that got me here.

Once again... just my personal opinion.

Best Regards,
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • I think Harry explained it the best but please keep us updated. In my opinion, when we feel better or have a good day, we tend to over do it. Best of luck to you my friend.
  • In addition to Craig's report on how his physical activities have turned out,

I'm interested in hearing from folks, what kind of "normal" bloke activities have they resumed 'safely'. Safely meaning, nothing more than minor issue of handful of days.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    It's amazing that athletes can return after fusion yet normal people can't mow grass after. I'm sure there are many reasons for this , but I find it interesting to ponder
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.