Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4-C7 Anterior and Posterior Fusion Questions

flnetman62fflnetman62 Posts: 4
edited 08/29/2015 - 10:56 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Had a few questions about planned surgery. Had originally anticipated a C5- C7 fusion, but doctor said C4/C5 needs it as well, so 3 level fusion. Doctor is one of tops in country, said he could do anterior ro anterior+posterior at same time to reduce issues with non-union - and reduce recovery time.

However, trying to find out what real recovery is for posterior surgery, was told I need to kee arms by my side, and cannot lift arms due to possibility of muscle tear.

1) For the dual posterior and anterior surgery, what is the range of motion allowed? Can I raise hands/pivot at shoulder to wash head/hair? What about toilet/wiping?
2) When would I be able to drive with either Anterior only or Anterior&Posterior surgery?
3) What are the general limitations, expectations for day to day living?
4) I wear a CPAP mask, can I put on by myself or will I need assistance on Anterior or dual Anterior/Posterior surgery?
5) How do I get into/out of bed with the anterior or anterior/posterior surgery?
6) Should the bed be at a 30 degree angle? Or do most people use lots of pillows or get a recliner (lazboy, etc.)?
7) What can I do to improve recovery time?
8) Anything we didn't ask or should have asked that we missed?

Thank you!

Please remember that no one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.
As such, no member is permitted to provide
    - Analysis or interpretation of any diagnostic test (ie MRI, CTscan, Xray, etc)- Medical advice of any kind- Recommendations in terms of Medications, Treatments, Exercises, etcLiz -Spine-health Moderator
Ft Lauderdale FL
C4-C7 Anterior and Posterior Fusion Candidate