Had a few questions about planned surgery. Had originally anticipated a C5- C7 fusion, but doctor said C4/C5 needs it as well, so 3 level fusion. Doctor is one of tops in country, said he could do anterior ro anterior+posterior at same time to reduce issues with non-union - and reduce recovery time.
However, trying to find out what real recovery is for posterior surgery, was told I need to kee arms by my side, and cannot lift arms due to possibility of muscle tear.
1) For the dual posterior and anterior surgery, what is the range of motion allowed? Can I raise hands/pivot at shoulder to wash head/hair? What about toilet/wiping?
2) When would I be able to drive with either Anterior only or Anterior&Posterior surgery?
3) What are the general limitations, expectations for day to day living?
4) I wear a CPAP mask, can I put on by myself or will I need assistance on Anterior or dual Anterior/Posterior surgery?
5) How do I get into/out of bed with the anterior or anterior/posterior surgery?
6) Should the bed be at a 30 degree angle? Or do most people use lots of pillows or get a recliner (lazboy, etc.)?
7) What can I do to improve recovery time?
8) Anything we didn't ask or should have asked that we missed?
Please remember that no one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.
As such, no member is permitted to provide
- Analysis or interpretation of any diagnostic test (ie MRI, CTscan, Xray, etc)- Medical advice of any kind- Recommendations in terms of Medications, Treatments, Exercises, etcLiz -Spine-health Moderator
Ft Lauderdale FL
C4-C7 Anterior and Posterior Fusion Candidate