Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Travel 10 weeks after Anterior C4-C7 Fusion?

flnetman62fflnetman62 Posts: 4
edited 08/29/2015 - 11:01 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi - looking at mid to end of September anterior C4-C7 fusion for dessicated and hernieated discs. Have travel plans to go to Hawaii on 12/15 (live in Flroida, 12 hours flights). We are in business and first class (thanks American for the system wide upgrades - knew there was a reason I flew you)

Based on your own histories and what you al have seen, what do you think the likelihood is that we wil enjoy this trip? Is 8-10 weeks enough time to recover?

Other option is an anterior and posterior fusion, which doc said would take 6 weeks to recover, and remove any issues of a non fusion...but would have additioanl pain.

Either way I will be in a hard collar for recovery.

thank you!

Traveling with Spinal Problems
Liz -Spine-health Moderator
Ft Lauderdale FL
C4-C7 Anterior and Posterior Fusion Candidate

• I wasn't able to do anything for 12 weeks , if you go pack your own pillow. I had to see my doc every month for 6 months then 3 months and so on until I got to 18 months. I'm sure it depends what kind of shape your in, if you fuse etc. I love Hawaii!
  • grammaof9ggrammaof9 Posts: 263
    edited 08/30/2015 - 6:47 AM
    Sorry I had posterer so not sure, I think recovery time is shortened some what.
  • For many people (from reading different threads), it would've been fine. For some people (myself included), it would not have been. No way to tell!
    Some of it is probably your pre-surgery condition. I had rapidly progressing myelopathy, and have taken a long time to recover from it. Radiculopathy and more minor issues *probably* wouldn't be so bad.
    Good luck! Enjoy your trip!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016