Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated disc and exercises

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi All!
I am a new member! I have been visiting spine-health.com for a year. I am 31-years old and I got my herniated disc last year.
I like to exercise and keep fit.
I have been exercising on my home cross-trainer for 2 months and doing some abdominal exercises.
Could you please let me know if it is safe to exercise on a cross-trainer for a patient with a herniated disc.
Re abdominal: can I do oblique crunches?
Thank you in advance!
Anzhelika Demchenko
Greece :?

• I would seriously ask a doctor or physical therapist about htis. it may depend on the seriousness of the herniation, and what symptoms you are having. My doctor told me to take it very easy, no lifting over ten pounds... no twisting type motions or heavy exercise. The physical therapist came up with a series of simple exercises for me to do to strengthen the core muscles. I ended up going for discectomy surgery last month, and now in a few more weeks, I can start over with the exercising, but very slowly for a while so I don't re-herniate.
  • I have a herniated disc L5-S1. Holding off on fusion surgery. Starting physical therapy and in between therapy, my doc says I can use treadmill, stair climb/cross trainer and exercise bike. But I have to take it easy, no heavy workout allowed. Check with your doctor or a trainer at your gym. I was told to do no ab work at all. No twisting or bending. Be very careful.
  • You should definitely see a physical therapist...they could give you some good exercises to do.

I asked my PT about crunches after my microD and he said to not do those anymore as they put a lot of pressure on your spine. However, core strengthening is a must so he did give me some better alternatives.

One was on one of those big exercise balls...I laid back on that ball and did slight crunches...left, center, right. Being on that ball prevented me from rolling my back up so much, and having to balance my body really was actually more of a workout than a regular old crunch....but again, I would check with doc or PT, you don't to do more damage than good.