Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Inversion table

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I've just bought one [not a Teeter - too expensive!!]. Does anyone use one? If so what are your experiences and any advice in using one? I definatley have some disc compression and I'm often stiff at night and in the morning - and I want to carry on riding my motorbike!!

• I bought a cheaper model also, Russ66. So far I've been happy with it. If nothing else, it feels real good to stretch my back. It takes some time to be able to stay inclined for very long, but you don't need a whole lot of incline for it to work. You do not need to be totally upside down. I use about a 45 degree angle I think. I asked my doctor if they were just a scam but he said they do help some people. So far I feel like it does help me a little bit. I came home with pain in my neck last Friday, got on it, and had instant relief. That's the first time I got that instant relief though.
  • I was having to go to the osteopath to release my disc - I've got some info on using them [start gradually and build up to no more than two 10 min sessions a day]. Well if it don't help it's going on ebay!!
  • I have been using mine on and off. I was trying 5mins twice a day. I can do 10mins. That is about it. Too hard on the ankles. I go a bit more than 45 degrees. Definitely not inverted. There is no real need to be completely inverted.

Depending on your problem depends on whether it will help you. I really think it is very individual. It is no miracle cure. If it saves you a few visits to a chiro or pt then it is probably worth it. Otherwise throw it up on ebay or craigslist after.

For me it helps some. Sometimes I have felt worse. Helps the degenerative disc in the back. But pulls on muscles that are already too tight. Then the nerve pain flares up in my hip. So it depends on which day. I know now when not to do it.

Forget the Teeter and all the fancy commercial ones. $300 is enough.

Good luck with it.

• Check out www.overstock.com they only charge a couple of bucks for shipping. Plus, there are many reviews from people who have purchased each model.
    I am glad to hear at least it has helped a couple, it is worth a try!
  • Mine came today - the main drawback is that it is a bit bulky and difficult to put together [esp if you have a bad back!!].It looks like a serious piece of gym equipment! I'm gonna put it in the lobby of my flat and hopefully my neighbour won't mind too much. I had a 1 min 15 degree stretch [anything about that angle was a bit uncomfortable] and am gonna work my way up and see how I go on. My osteopath reckons they are worth a try. - I will update you all on my progress.
  • Is this anything like a traction table. I've heard of hanging by the ankles. i guess I'll have to investgate it a little more. What Brand name is best? I see you said 300 is enough for the price. Thanks.
  • I often have sciatic nerve pain or pain in my lower back after running on the treadmill at my gym or doing a strenuous leg workout. My gym has a couple inversion tables in the stretching area, so I gave it a try and now I'm a true believer. I don't have pain anymore afterwards you just feel like you've gotten a good stretch.

If it's your fist time going for inversion, be sure you start slowly at a not-so-drastic angle and for a short period like 5 or 10 minutes. You gradually work your way up from there. You don't want to spend the whole day on the thing, because what would be the point, right? But you do want to get in say 15 minutes twice a day to really reverse the compression your body goes through during the day.

Bottom line, if your doctor says go for it, then I most definitely would second that motion.

Good luck.
  • I got a "Body Max IT6000 Inversion Therapy Table" for $109.99 on Amazon on Cyber monday. It's very solidly built and very comfortable. It can do a full inversion and go even further so as to hang off the machine completely. The sad thing is the price went down AFTER cyber monday.

Anyways, it works great for instant pain relief. It takes a long while to get used to it because of all the blood rushing to your head. You get kind of dizzy at first, but after a while it's almost a habit.

I use it for my L4/L5 herniated disc.

Cheers everyone.
    Successful ADR patient with a Spinal Kinetics M6-L on L4/5. Details, photos, surgery pics here: http://healingmyback.blogspot.com
  • I use a Yukon "seated" version, where your legs are at a 90 degree angle to your body. It's basically like sitting but with gravity going the opposite direction.

The main advantages is that it takes pressure off your ankles, and the bending of the legs seems to give me a better stretch in the lower back. The disadvantage is that you are completely inverted, which for me, I get too much blood pressure and the stretch is a little intense. I only use it for about 1 minute when my lower back is tight from sitting. It has been a real life saver though, on many occasions.