Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! Medtronics Neurostimulator: Anyone have Battery Implant Buldging

Josephj LJJosephj L Posts: 1
edited 09/11/2015 - 8:03 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi everyone.......I

I had had the implant a week ago and am surprised to see how much bulging I have where the battery was implanted in my upper butox. I know its only a week, but will this go down, and how long will it take?

The implant does work well BTW in taking away pain from my right knee and leg caused from my back surgery. It's just that the buldge is VERY pronounced and annoying, I was not told this would be the case as I left the surgery center with my entire lower back taped. I will be seeing my Dr. again soon, but interested to know if anyone else had this problem.

Regardless of what my physician will say, I need to still want to know what experience other individuals had with this same swelling site.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful infrormation!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• You can see mine through my skin-it's in same place as yours-it got infected and very swollen (had put in 8 weeks ago). It's not holding a charge either and it's taking 8-10 hours to charge it. I got the 9 hour charge through your skin one. My skin is burny and itchy. If you touch on my skin you can grab the whole thing and feel the lumps & bumps on it. Very weird. Trying to get appt. when it works, it does get rid of the leg & knee pain. Cheers, sue
  • I got mine 2 weeks ago and it's starting to bulge a bit as well
  • I'm now at the five week mark and it is barely bulging. The scar is the only tell tale sign that it's even there
  • I have slight bulge. Have had mine for about 2 years. Its really pronounced when I bend over. Can grab mine as well but you probably shouldn't do that. I got used to it. Just don't go poking at it lol.
  • I have had 3 failed microdisectomy surgeries on L4,L5s1 and decided to go with the neurostimulator instead of a 3 level fusion. Had surgery on November 9th so i am about 17 days out. Battery is noticeable and i am able to grab it. I have my follow up appointment on December 1st and Boston Scientific is going to make a few adjustments on the programming.
    I feel this will buy me a few years before i need a fusion. My battery implant is above my love handles and close to my back muscle. When i turn the stimulator on a high % it feels like the vibration is under my ribs. Has anyone had this problem?
    I am walking every day and currently on disability. I have a office job and i just sit and stand for long periods of time. I am unable to sit for more than 3 hours with the stimulator on and taking medication without having pain. Can anybody share their recovery time?
    Wish everybody well.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I am also 11 days out from my neurostimulator implant. My battery implant is also just above my love handles on the left side and is only noticeable if you really look for it. I am just starting to feel a bit better and am cutting back on the pain meds from the surgery.

I initially ran a fever the day after surgery which continued for three days but it was knocked out with a bout of steroids. Days seem to be getting better now and hopefully as each day passes, things continue to improve.

I wish you all well in your recoveries!
  • Mine is in my upper left chest area and sticks way out. I don't have much fat there. I have a cervical implant, paddle style. I haven't had any issues other than it's very positional and it's a pain to charge. I duct tape my charger on lol.

• fxdwb69 said:

Mine is in my upper left chest area and sticks way out. I don't have much fat there. I have a cervical implant, paddle style. I haven't had any issues other than it's very positional and it's a pain to charge. I duct tape my charger on lol.

Mine bulged after surgery, but once swelling went down it was fine, I can see the scar and if I put pressure there or try to mess with it I can feel it.
     fxdwb69- Not sure what kind of stim you have, but I know with Medtronic they have double sided adhesives that you put on the charger and your body. Those helped me with charging. Mine is above my buttocks/hip area, but those may be better than duct tape lol