Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

donor bone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does anyone know how safe donor bone really is?

• Susan, The donor bone are tested so they should be very safe. I had donor bone in my 2 level ACDF in Feb 2006 and have no complications. I hear that if you use your own bone you will fuse better but it is more painful.

• Hi Allison,
    Thanks. I assume the bone must be tested extensvily, but I still worry about the 2 donor bones I have. It just kinda creeps me out.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    I completely understand how you feel. On my multiple ACDF surgeries I opted for my own bone. Scraped from my hip. NO question, that was painful and I had more pain in my hip post surgery than I did in my neck.

Done Bones are safe, but there still is an advantage with your own bone in it acceptance.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have donor bone in my fusion. One thing to think about is that the blood vessels are stripped out and the bone is cleaned. They did have to use some from my iliac crest, and oh man I hurt more there than I did at the surgical area for years after. I do know there are some bone fillers out there, but have heard some FDA concerns about them. Something to look into as an alternative. Medtronic makes one I think.