Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic back pain

Lisa01LLisa01 CanadaPosts: 20
edited 09/01/2015 - 11:52 AM in Chronic Pain

I am new to this forum! I just wanted to ask a few questions, so I will tell you what my problem is.

When I was 23, I had an accident at work and I fell head first into a bath tub and compressed my spine. I was on workers comp for a few weeks and went back to work, I just thought it was better and I would be fine. Here I am 3 years later, and my back pain is much worse than anything I ever imagined. On a general scale it is a constant 5 to 6, when its at its worst it is a 9.
I have been working with a personal trainer for the last year to try and strengthen my back muscles - most of my exercises are modified. However, it has not helped other than becoming strong and toned over all.
The pain makes it very difficult to do my job comfortably, I am a Psw or in the U.S. a Health care aide... So I am always on my feet, moving people (always with the machines), bending ect. I try to always make sure I use proper body mechanics.

I recently went to my doctor because many days, I am unable to deal with the pain and it makes me feel horrible - I'm not even comfortable trying to sleep at night, it's painful sitting and I can't stand for long without having to lean against something. I am lucky enough to use hot packs and what not when I am at work but the relief is only while being used and once it's gone I'm in pain again.
My doctor was kind enough to put me on Ketoralac, but it does nothing and I also try to use muscle relaxants and ibuprofen/Tylenol and they also do not work. So, now my question is - does this mean because the Ketoralac does not work that it is nerve damage? I've spoken with a nurse at work who dealt with many patients with back issues and she told me that because they don't work, that may likely be what it is. Has anyone had the same experience?
If it is indeed nerve damage, do nerve blockers or anything associated with blocking nerve pain give any awful side affects?

I was maybe looking if anyone could refer me to some sort of special stretching guide for chronic back pain.

I am also awaiting an appointment with the pain clinic, I just wish there was something I could do to ease the pain. It stinks. Sorry for venting and thank you for any advice given to me!

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage