Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dentist in Pain, can't sleep!!! HELP PLEASE!

endotreatedeendotreated Posts: 2
edited 09/01/2015 - 11:45 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I'm 36 years old now, Have been a dentist for 5 years. I'm a 5'8" male, about 190 pounds. I do not exercise regularly.

I had lower back pain 4 years ago when I saw patients... replaced my dentist stools with saddle stools = problem solved.

about 1 year ago, started getting uncomfortable in our 8 year old spring mattress, so we tossed it and replaced it with a highly rated, but inexpensive memory foam mattress.

I noticed significant pain first few days while sleeping but all online reviews said it's to be expected... I was patient... a month later, still in pain, so I returned that mattress.

I ordered the very highly rated and reasonably priced Casper mattress... made of a top layer of latex foam and a support layer of high density memory foam.

still back pain.

It's been about a year now and my pain can get so severe that I have a hard time sleeping. Pain is in upper back and I feel it mostly when I'm sleeping and first 2 hours of the day or so.

I SOMETIMES have pain seeing patients, but usually don't. I use saddle stools, use loupes and I am conscious of my posture and try to always have good posture.

I've been seen by a family physician, who said it's musculoskeletal and placed me on muscle relaxers and cortisone --> not much improvement

Been under care of Chiropractor at "The Joint" for a couple of months --> not much improvement

I've tried changing my sleep position. I am a stomach sleeper by nature, tried side sleeping with pillow between my thighs, tried back sleeping with pillow under my calves --> slight improvement, still in significant pain.

I have bought a back stretching gizmo very highly rated on Amazon --> maybe made it worse

I have tried stretches looked up on YouTube --> no significant improvement

I have tried sleeping on another spring bed at home instead of my fancy Casper bed --> sometimes I feel there's improvement, other times no improvement.

I saw another family physician, he said he thinks it's the nature of my profession and not the bed...

I am at my wit's end! I feel like I've tried everything I can... I find it ironic that the pain started around same time I replaced my mattress, but at the same time, I've slept on another spring mattress for maybe 10 days without huge improvement.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? has anyone had similar situation? I've only practiced dentistry for 5 years... at this rate, it's not looking very promising!

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage