Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WiErD Question ALERT:)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK, I am scheduled to have a Level 2 Spinal Fusion done on the 28th of this month( The day before my babies 16th B-day:( )

My biggest worry is...here is comes....HOW can you wipe your butt if you CANT BLT???? Please help me with this problem...I have a hard enough time doing it now;(

:? :? :?

• hi, i had a L5/S1 fusion on 18 june this year so 26 days ago, and i did not have any problems with the butt wiping!!, i had problems going but that is another story!! i have seen threads on here that mention some kind of aide you can get for this but not sure of the name? perhaps if you look at disability living aids there may be something on there, but do not worry about it too much, you may well be able to cope normally, as i did. What levels are you having fused? xx claire xx
  • Hello Claire;)

Thank you for that:):) I am having L4-L5 and L5-S1. With full removal of both disc's and cages with 6 screws and some plates;)

So are you recovering well?? How big is your incusion...what kind did you have..front or back?? Sorry for all the questions :?
  • We are surgery twins :D

Same surgery same day....

We can stress out together :D

PS/ I was worried about the same thing. The nurse told me they will make sure I can before I leave the hospital. If I can't I guess they have some special tongs.

• I am having L4-L5 and L5-S1 as well in August. Wiping was actually one of my larger concerns :). Claire, so glad to hear you didn't have trouble!
  • Hello Julie, How are you hanging in there Hun??? I am really glad that we can stress together;)

I am still waiting approval from my Insurace from H$#L!! I will keep you posted on my approval:)

Hey Kelly....I think this topic will help alot of us figure out HOW we are supposed to function normally after this;)
  • I thought you must have gotten the approval by now :?

Hopefully it will come very soon. You still have 2 weeks.

Keep us posted.

• Julie, I thought so too:( I had to get Flex x-rays done on Thursday night...I dont know if the Dr's office has gotten them yet...I live in a totally differant town...and so does the dr from the diagnostic place that took the x-rays.....I live about 70-74 miles from my Spine Man:):)
  • Well, before my three-level fusion in May, this was one of my biggest worries too. I even warned my husband that he may have to perform the dirty deed for me. He was not too happy, but agreed providing that I buy a box of disposable latex gloves. I did, but I am happy to report we did not need to use them.

First of all, it takes days for normal bowel movement to start. It took me 4 days with some help. The first two times I had to use my call button to call a nurse to the bathroom to do it for me. Mostly because I was afraid to try. After that I tried a front to back movement between my legs and it worked.

Now if you would have problem with that, there is an implement called "bottom buddy" that can be purchased over the internet for about 9-12 bucks.

Good luck to all for your surgeries, and hope your digestion will function normally soon so you would actually have to worry about that problem!

Kin ;) ;) ;) }:) }:) }:)
  • Thanks for that...it is a scary thing to think of;) I am glad you are doing well too:)
  • hi polly, i am recovering good thanx!!! my incision is about 6 inch and it is through the back, i have been so lucky with recovery, been off all meds since before week 2 post op!! walking every day, still have pain from the iliac crest where they took bone, and a general ache in my back, but all leg pain gone and feel 90% better than i ddi, and hope to be back at work in 3 more weeks!! good luck with your surgery x x claire x x
  • Just not the same tongs as used for your spaghetti :sick:!!!!
    They will show you how to get it done. My aunt is a dwarf and could barely reach back there before her surgery or even before back problems resulting in her L4/S1 fusion!! And still uses them to date due to the lack of flexibility. But I still scared to go over there for spaghetti dinner :P. Peace,B.Ex.
  • Hi there I had a 2 level fusion ALIF w/hardware of my L4-S1 disks as well as a lamenectomy of my L3-S1 disks and they did this 360 front and back. My front incision is like 8 inches and had 40 staples in it. My back incision is like 6 inches and had 35 stitches in it. Not to mention a drainage bag in each incision off to the side for extra fluids. The question on wiping when you can't BLT....

Ok I never had a bowel movement before I left the hospital or would have been there a lot longer than I was. I was in the hospital um lets see...checked in on a Thursday and out on Sunday. I didnt have a bowel movement until Wednesday. But before that I was so constipated from all the meds, surgery, anisteasia that I was up for 24 hours straight trying to go to the bathroom. It resulted to using enemas to get the job done. Once I got myself cleared up and a loving husband to help me I was normal again.

The doctor said as long as I was wearing my back brace and was being extremely careful than I would be just fine.
    It has been 10 weeks since my surgery and so far it has been very successful.
  • same here no going befor ei left the hospital. and went i finally went after i got home which was afew days later, i felt like i was going to die!!! i was screaming and crying!! thanks god my mommy was here, lol!!! for all of you and your upcoming surgeries, be sure to take stool softners and when you are ready to eat, eats lots of fiber!!!