Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking with limp / dull pain after l5-S1 Microdiscectomy

Hello everyone,

I am 1 week post op from a l5-S1 Microdiscectomy. I had the classic sciatica and lower buttock pain for about 2 years prior to surgery.

For the past year or so I have been walking strange to compensate for the pain in my buttocks. The best way to describe it is that I have been unable to extend the lower part of my right leg far enough. During physical therapy I learned that my hips are misaligned and was really unable to fix it due to the nerve tension and pain.

Now post op I don't appear to have as bad of pain but I am still walking in the strange way. I was wondering if anyone has gone through this and if PT after your surgery helped you correct you gait / hip alignment.

My pain has been greatly reduced but when I am walking I still sometimes have a dull pain in the buttock region where the nerve pain was. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with this subsiding as time goes on.

Thanks for all of the help

• cwharton02ccwharton02 Posts: 1
    edited 09/02/2015 - 8:03 AM
    Hello, I am 3 years post discectomy, L4-5 fusion, and sciatic nerve release and I have never been the same since. My muscles have never let up. My right butt cheek has constant cramps, sciatic pain from cheek all the way down to tip of right toe, hip pain, periformis syndrome, QI muscle is constantly in spasm. I do not take pain meds. I try to rely on stretching and walking. Everything seems to aggravate it, especially sitting. It's starting to drive me crazy. I'm afraid to go for another surgery consult and waste time and money again. Sleep is constantly interrupted. I've also developed a new way of walking and physical therapy helped some but just temporary.
    Carin in PA
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 09/02/2015 - 1:22 PM
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History