Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

22 year old new member looking for some answers after car accident

Gillian. NicoleGGillian. Nicole Posts: 11
edited 09/01/2015 - 10:34 PM in New Member Introductions
Hello: this is my first post. I'm looking for some support and suggestions as many doctors appointments and therapies have me hitting a wall.

In December 2013 , I was rear ended on the highway at a high speed (hit at 40mph). After the accident, I had visited the ER and they did a CT saying everything was normal. The doctor gave me muscle relaxers for pain and said I was experiencing spasms. The pain ion my neck continued so I decided to seek chiropractic care around January 2014. I saw a chiro from January to April 2014 with no relief. He had only taken X-rays and no other diagnostic tests were done. From April til February 2015 I tried some at home cervical exercises, new medication etc. February 2015, I began seeing a new chiropractor who decided that my case was more serious than any other doctor I had seen. He ordered EMGs, ultrasounds, and MRIs of my cervical and lumbar spine. In March they diagnosed 3 disc herniations in my neck as well as 2 bulging discs in my neck and reverse lordosis in my neck and spine. I also have cervical radiculopathy in c4/c5 and joint and muscle inflammation in my neck. I also have lumbar back 3 bulging discs, one herniated disc and an annular tear

After the second chiropractor diagnosed me, he tried to give me relief using ultrasound therapy, neck exercises, and eventually cervical traction using a machine. While the traction definitely helped a little bit, the rest of the treatment did not and I discontinued my visits to try a new treatment plan. In May 2015, I visited an orthopedic who took further X-rays and gave me a second opinion on my MRI. The orthopedic does not want to do surgery on me since I'm 22 and it is not guaranteed to fix me and allow me to be pain free. I'm currently getting cortisone shots in my neck once a month and am taking a lot of medicine [naproxen 500mg, lyrica for nerve pain 50mg, and robaxin muscle relaxer 150mg].

Wondering if anyone can give me a long term solution besides physical therapy [which I start next week].... Has anyone had success with the same neck surgery at a young age [or any age]. Any other things that have worked for your pain? Really in need of some support and I am upset over this pain that just won't quit. I want to live a long pain free life but have no answer as to how right now.

Any feedback is helpful.

Thank you.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• hello! I was also in an accident, this was about ten years ago now, so at the time I was in my late twenties. I had had some minor neck pain before that but it got unbearable after the accident. Same thing as you said -- doctors wouldn't operate for years because I was too young. I don't know about you, but I also had (and still have) a really hard time even convincing people that the pain was real. They say things like "you're too young to have this problem." Well, I did and I do.

Anyway I won't go off on my own experience, but my point is stick with your guns, get second opinions and go with your gut. I had ACDF surgery (c4-c5) and it really didn't make a big difference for me. I have talked to younger people who have had it, though, and it was successful for them -- I really think it just depends on your situation, so just do lots of research and get a second opinion if you can. For me, nothing was helping so I figured I had nothing to lose.

After the surgery, I did physical therapy for a long time and the thing that has helped me most was dry needling, and massage. Finding someone who specialized in myofascial release techniques was life-changing for me -- if you haven't looked into this, you might do some research and see if it sounds like something you could benefit from. I had a physical therapist that did the dry needling, and then my surgeon switched me over to a massage therapist who did a lot of trigger point massage work and some personal training to help me with posture and strengthening and I felt better than I've felt in a long time when I was seeing her. Unfortunately it can be hard to get insurance to cover these things sometimes, and dry needling isn't even legal in some places I hear but in my experience, it is worth whatever you have to pay to get pain relief.

Best of luck, I really hope you can get some relief, and feel free to pm me too if you want any more info or just to talk.