Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-op Pain

darby01darby01 Posts: 191
edited 09/03/2015 - 6:47 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
In one of my other posts, I was told I'd have severe pain between shoulder blades after the surgery. How long is it supposed to last? Surgery was on Tuesday afternoon.

Please refresh our memories..... What kind of surgery did you have? Tuesday, this past tuesday, 09/01?

-- Ron DiLauro , Spine-Health System Moderator

• Oh jeez! I had the permanent scs surgery on 9/1/2015
  • I had my full implant 2 weeks ago and am still getting intermittent shoulder pain. No idea what causes it.
  • darby01darby01 Posts: 191
    edited 09/04/2015 - 3:23 AM
    Oh no! Today, I've nearly reached my breaking point with this pain! I swear this pain far outweighs my post-op pain from my ALIF. I called my Dr today to make sure this is normal, and how long it will last. I nearly cried when she said it's normal and could last up to 6 weeks. I can't get in/out of bed, sit, stand, or walk without having severe pain. On a pain scale of 1 to 10, it's a 20

Warning: Any time your pain levels start to reach 9, you should have someone talk you to the Emergency Room. At level 10, you are not capable of taking care of yourself

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/04/15
  • It is expected after this type of surgery. I called my Dr right away and he said it's normal. Plus I've dealt with 9 and 10 pain for years
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...of pain!

I agree with Ron re pain scale. Since they only allow us to go to 10 ...at 10 I'm on the floor, barely able to think and need to phone a friend or call 911 for ER....and I'm fully dependent on the care of others.
    Even at 9, I'm praying I don't hit 10, but realize I'm in out of control pain that my body is screaming for help..and that's a phone a friend ER visit also, in hopes to stop the cycle. And also, I'm fully dependent on the care of others.

Is it possible that doctor would ever do X-ray or any testing re placement?...to double check the severe pain?
    Or to see if something else is going on? Is doctor fully comprehending how severe the pain is?

None of my doctors would expect or allow me to endure lying..writhing (spelling)...on the floor with crazy making 9 or 10 level of screaming pain. It can't be good for the healing process, not good for the body, let alone the effects on the mind.

My pain management doctor has even told me, if my pain levels get that high, not to even call him and just go straight to ER.

Even if he didn't tell me that, at 9 or 10....I go straight to ER.
    Just because you had surgery, that does not mean something else may be going on...going wrong.

I wish you very best in your taking care of yourself to reduce your pain!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• You've got to remember that everyone's pain tolerance is different. You're 10 might be my 6 or vice/versa. He told me that I can expect this pain for a few days and that's even why he kept me in the hospital for 1.5 days. It's already way better than yesterday! Today is a 6.5/7.
  • darby01darby01 Posts: 191
    edited 09/04/2015 - 10:55 AM
    Thank you all for your concern, it is appreciated