Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve pain five months out?

Butt/leg pain 5 months post microdiscentomy?

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone still has nerve pain in their leg and or butt five months out from surgery. My discomfort gets worse after sitting for more than 30 minutes or so. My new MRI doesn't show any more impingement so why would it hurt more when I sit? Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. My prayers go out to anyone on here dealing with this.

Take care, Maria
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    to heal. Its not that uncommon for nerve pain after lumbar surgery to last 9, 12, 18 or 24 months! So much depends on the condition of the nerve prior to surgery , how in depth was the actual surgery and your recovery actions.

As you read more of the forums you will see that having nerve pain after surgery is pretty common. It becomes another condition that we need to adjust to until it subsides.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi!

I only had my microdiscectomy back in May but if I sit too long I start getting pins and needles in my ankle or a dead foot which slowly work their way up my leg and occasionally the stabbing pain in my calf or thigh. Sometimes it just comes on for no reason but my consultant told me the nerve will do some strange things for up to two years while it recovers from the compression!

The only thing I've found which helps is to get up regularly and take a quick walk, thankfully the pain is nowhere near the level I had prior to surgery and soon disappears if I have a quick lie down but just enough to remind me of the fun times I had before it when it was excruciating and I couldn't sit or stand at all!

Chris
    L5-S1 microdiscectomy, May 2015
  • Thanks so much, guys. That really puts my mind at ease. I had an L5-S1 microdiscemtomy in April for left leg/right buttock discomfort turning to pain when sitting. The surgery barely did anything because my pain wasn't excruciating, just uncomfortable which is exactly where it is now. I still cant sit fort more than 30 mins without getting uncomfortable.

I found myself getting really depressed that this will never go away, which like you said turned into another huge problem I have to deal with. I had anxiety years ago and it was under control until this back thing happened. Nerves seems to be more inflamed now and cant take anti-inflammatory meds because I developed stomach ulcers. I started yoga only 4 months out and maybe the forward bending pushed it too far.

Well thanks a lot for the info. I really appreciate the replies. I do pray for anyone with depression/anxiety and chronic pain, because I now know how hard it is. Wishing strength to everyone on here.
  • Hi,

I've had two microdisctomies in 4 months at the same level as you. The nerve, butt and leg pain was the reason for my secon discectomy, although my disc had reherniated. I'm still in a lot of pain from the nerve, my surgeon explained that there is now two lots of scar tissue which is likely causing the pain and, like you, was told that nerve pain can last up to two years before it settles down. I had to stop my antiinflammatories for th same reason. I'm now on Gabapentin and Nortriptyline which does help, especially at night.

All the best.
  • Michelle, sorry to hear about your reherniation . And your stomach issues. Glad you have things under control. It does help to know that it is possible this may still go away someday. That gives me hope so I really do appreciate it. Funny you say that about the scar tissue. I went for a second opinion recently and he said the MRI shows the scar tissue could be hitting the nerve. I never knew that scar tissue could cause irritation of the nerves. But it makes sense. Hope that scar tissue does in fact heal in time for all of our sakes. Thanks a lot. Maria
  • Almost 4 months post op and my left butt cheek feels like an 8" open gash with radiating numbness down the left leg to the foot.

Anxiety has set in to complicate matters and I am still using hydro morphone and cymbalta for pain..Physio therapy twice a week hasn't produced any major break throughs.

I can sit 30 minutes, stand and/or walk 12 minutes, 2 hours in recliner, and all other time laying down on a firm sofa or bed. Lost my employment as a result.

Praying for pain relief for all spine surgery patients.

Paul
    May 13, 2015. L4/L5
    2X bilateral lam
    2X s. process removed
    2X lumbar sten
    1X discotomy
    1X synovial cystectomy
    4X f. joint modifications
    4X foramenotomies
    1X spondylolisthesis
    1X bilateral post. Llumbar fusion
    1X instrumented fixation
  • Hi ,

Maria, Re the scar tissue, when I had my second discectomy my surgeon made a large hole in the lamina to avoid the scar tissue irritating the nerve. It's all a bit of a mine field I fear. I hope you find some pain relief son.

Paul, poor you , it sounds as though you have similar pain and difficulties to me. At least we have each other to bounce off, anxiety can be a worry, I think we all get so engulfed in all the pain that we just don't know where to turn and what to try next. Our focus becomes the pain and trying to get rid of it. I have been given a Tens machine to try so I'm going to give that a go. Have you tried one, if so did it help? I'm sorry you have lost your job.

Take care both of you
  • Hi everyone,
    Short history: December I had discectomy. The surgeon talked to my husband and said the nerves are too mangled. My PM doc gave me a SCS trial. The trial was perfect. The actual implantation was in April and it does not work. The surgeon is convinced that his part was perfect! had 3 different Medtronic techs try to get coverage but they finally gave up and told me to just turn it off. My pain is from my butt down to foot, but the butt area is the most problematic. Sometimes I can walk a block and sometimes I am in excruciating pain after 2 steps. I am not a candidate for surgery because I have had RA for over 30 years and my bones would crumble. Anyway, through the last 30 years hydrocodone doesn't have much of an effect on me, so today he gave me a prescription for fentanyl patches and I am scheduled for a S1 injection on the 29th. I had put all of my faith in the SCS and was disappointed. Now I am hoping the injection will help and/or the fentanyl will help alleviate some of the pain. We have a 3 week trip planned for November and I would prefer not having to go in a wheelchair... Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for listening.
  • Hi,

Oh no....I hope there is something that can be done to help you. Have you had an injection before? If so did it help? Sorry, I'm new here and not sure of all the jargon. What is an SCS trial, sounds like it didn't work anyway.

I hope you get some relief and are able to enjoy your holiday.
  • Yes, I had 3 injections before the SCS was implanted. They gave very minimal relief.
    SCS is Spinal Cord Stimulator. 2 "leads" are implanted as well as a battery. The premise is that you get a vibrating sensation which fools your brain and gives relief from the pain. The technicians work with you to adjust the length and width of impulses to give you the pattern of sensations that work best for you. You have a controller and the idea is for you to dial the impulses up or down as you need. Reading the different blogs, it is not unusual for people to report that the trial worked perfectly, but not the implanted one. I wish mine would have worked, but it just didn't.

After I wrote this initially, I got the patches and I am so happy. The pain has not gone away and it never will, but it is nothing like before. It took about 10 hours before I got any relief, but when I did it was wonderful. I was very close to buying a wheelchair, but now I am so optimistic. I am still taking Vicodin, but that is normal from what I read. I walked around out of the house today and felt "normal". The only side effect I have had is that it makes me sleepy! I don't know how long I can stay on patches, but I hope there is no limit.

You didn't say anything about yourself. What is your story? We are here to help each other.

Phyliss
  • SAladySSAlady Posts: 10
    edited 09/14/2015 - 10:13 AM
    Michelle, I'm sorry. I just read your prior posts. I am sorry that you are in so much pain also, but it sounds as if you are also getting some relief from medications. I have no problem with "better living through chemicals"!!
advertisement