Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are your hobbies?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...what are your hobbies?

It isn't easy to do some things because of the pain, but I have found that it really helps to be able to have some kind of "busy work" to work on while I watch TV. I like to do latch hook and plastic canvas (like cross-stich, but easier). I know, I'm a little young for "granny activities," but when I graduated from college I found myself at a total loss for something to do after work. I've never been too physical, I think my body knew something was wrong long before it actually presented itself, but I've found these activites to be really fun for me - just watching TV is way too boring! I also like that I have something to show for it when I'm done, and inexpensive gifts to give to people. Sometimes, though, sitting is the worst thing for me, and I am not able to sit for long periods of time, so I take a lot of breaks. I have been working on a HUGE rug for a little over two months now and am almost done. I'm really bad about wanting to start another project before one is done, so this time I haven't let myself abandon this one. I also bought some jewelry making things, but haven't sat down and actually figured it out yet - it's way more complicated than I had expected (pliers, metal wire, etc), but maybe when I finish the rug I will start on that.

So, what do you guys do- besides play on the internet and read posts here, lol (I do that, too, that's why there are so many crumbs in my laptop - from eating over my computer).

• Hmm...not sure. When my back and leg aren't hurting and the weather is good, I like to be out on my pontoon just cruising. Reading a good book, practicing the guitar, cooking or baking (yes, straight guys do bake), soon I'll be taking up home brewing (beer). I sing in the choir, I love movies.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,860
    On the Lake in our Pontoon Boat
    Wine - Study, Teaching, Drinking
    Cooking - Making all sorts of different foods
    Gardening - Love to be outside doing what I can with my spine
    Computers - Been doing this for 34+ years and still love it.

Hi cgb728
    Beer Making - I did it for about 8 years. I got pretty good at it. Once I moved past the kits and purchased my own hops, right types of yeast, grain malts, barley, do some roasting, etc
    Hardest thing (worst thing) is clean up. I used to make about 48 bottles (about 1/5th size) Each time they were done, it was sterilizing each bottle. And the equipment
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Reading lots and lots of books
    Playing on the Wii or my DS, want to get an x-box
    Listening to music
    Drinking beer!! :D
  • I used to read a lot, but I've really gotten away from it, now it just seems to make me sleepy. I also play my DS on and off, check in with my brain games every now and then, but not like I did when I first got it. We have a Wii, but I mostly only do wii fit and only play other games when people are over. My fiance is deeply into video games, but he only likes fighting games and shooters, and when he plays he thinks he needs to play for hours on end - we've had many x-box 360 related fights, since I'm really a TV person and in my view, he is hogging the TV. It's gotten much better since he got a laptop, because he can put his headphones on and play games and I can watch TV and play my games on my laptop (pogo), do crafts, or play DS. Neither of us is terribly active, not much hiking or biking type stuff for us. We both have fairly physical jobs, neither of us sits at work, so I guess we relish the chance to sit down and veg out.
  • That is my passion; I just finally bought myself a good digital SLR camera, and nothing makes me happier than finding a place full of flowers or wildflowers....I'm out there taking pics!! I also love to garden and I make cards with my photos, but those two activities are pretty limited now.

P.S. Here is one of my recent faves...

• Lol, my fiance does 98% of the cooking. My mom was a terrible cook and housekeeper, and I'm afraid that neither my sister nor I are any better. My grandparents ran a boarding house out of their home, so she had to clean, clean, all the time, and help with cooking, so I think that once she moved out and went to college, she was totally over housekeeping. Also, she had undiagnosed fibromyalgia for a long time, so that may have contributed. Most of our dinners came from boxes, so that's all I cook, too. Joe likes to make stuff from scratch, but it just seems like so much work. When I'm hungry, I'm hungry and I don't want to wait two hours for a meal. He was really into making pizzas for a while there, but it's too hot to run the oven in our little apartment right now and running the AC is way too expensive, so he'll have to pick it up again when it gets cooler.
  • I missing most of my hobbies since my back issues. I love to walk and hike outdoors and work in my flower garden.

Love to read...James Patterson is my fav. right now...can't get enough

Used to do alot of cardmaking and some scrapbooking but not so much lately, not sure why???

and....Watching Baseball, drinking beer!!along with an occasional tequila shot!! :D
  • Maybe it would be better to ask what I don't do! lol!

Computer (blogging, connecting with friends, goodreads.com)
    Reading (I'm a children's librarian)
    Garden/landscape planning

okay - so I don't cook - that's for the DH to do. Too bad he is in Iraq for a year :(
  • I am retired, so I finally can do some of the things I always wanted but never had the time to do, like:

studying Spanish (actually I have been doing it since college)
    gardening (right now I can only container garden)
    traveling and taking travel photos
    I am not a serious photographer (my husband is) but I love taking flower photos
    Life stories - I am having an incredible life (lived through war, revolution, fleeing from several counties, immigrant to two countries - not to mention going back to finish my education as a mom, and now living through my spinal journey)
    classical music
    walking, hiking (now just walking)
    skiing - I gave that up now.

Did I forget somethiing?

kin }:)
  • I like to take a drive up the Mountain from where I live to the Falls that are not far from here. Its fun to hike down to the stream at the bottom of our hill too. We have lots of forest surrounding us in the Foothills of the Cascade Mountains.

I like spending time with my cat. She is 15 years old. They become family members sooo quick when they come into our lives.

To be honest the hobby I spend the most time on the past couple of years is World of Warcraft with my son. We share the same account and take turns. I have not had my cervical spine surgery yet. I see the surgeon this coming Monday. So that surgery is probably gonna slow be down considerably in regards to World of Warcraft for awhile.

Ken GreyEagle

• 1. Playing guitar/bass or just writing music on my computer.
    2. Computers
    3. Hiking/walking- miss this so much now.
    4. reading
    5. listening to music

I have really severe social anxiety with mild agoraphobia that means any outside activities other than my "safe" zones require time to adjust if at all--ie.I have not been to a movie theater in over 6 yrs now, tried but panic attacks sent me home.
  • I love fishing.

Anytime, day, night, rain or shine. Doesn't even matter if I catch anything. It's so peaceful. I like to sit and listed to the birds, and feel the sun warm my skin.

Winters in New England are downright brutal... very cold and very long. I try to spend as much time outdoors before winter comes again!!
  • Panic attacks are terrible, I get them all the time. I have terrible social anxiety. I can't tell you how many times I've gone shopping, only to leave the store with my cart in an isle somewhere half full of the things I needed, and head home in tears. I even get panic attacks when I have to go to a doctors appointment!

Sometimes I feel like I'm pushing borderline agoraphobia... which scares me. I try not to even think about the possibility.

• I am, when it comes to hobbies.

I like to read a great deal. I love to bake. Pies are awesome! I play the native american flute. I take classes on spirituality and study different cultures. I sing. I knit. I blog. I write poetry and other drivel. I meditate. I color pictures. Pastels on black textured paper are cool.

Just all sorts of things and stuff.