Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The B E A S T

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 03/07/2016 - 9:42 AM in Depression and Coping
Several years ago, I created a thread called The Beast.

It described what chronic pain would be if it was a live object. I thought it would be time for me to re-surface and re-word the original thread.

Once you have had spinal problems, especially surgery, you always need to be aware of The Beast

It can show up

After an ESI
After Physical Therapy
Missing some medications
Just abut anytime

That is because there is this living object called The Beast We can't see it, we can take a picture of it, and we can never become friends with it. But what is it really?

The Beast

The wild animal that lurks within our bodies once we have spinal issues. The beast was never invited but it is with us and at times it comes out as an Ugly Beast causing Flare-ups and Pain
The beast is very hard to get rid of. So often, we don't know what caused the beast to start causing pain for us. It may come out anytime, anywhere, even when we are feeling good. We start to think we are doing everything right, because things are going better. Our daily pain levels seem to diminish, we do not need as much of our pain medications, we start to smile again
But then, the Beast returns Some times, there is no rhyme or reason to this beast. We have no idea why it is here again
However, once it is active, we need to take some actions to battle it, make sure it doesn't overtake us and finally beat down the beast and make it go away, even just for now.
It is very important for us to understand and realize the beast is there. The beast is real, don't try to fool yourself. If you ignore it, you might open yourself for various problems, discomfort, disappointment, and pain.

Just understand that the Beast is Never

Offers help
Makes you feel better
An invited or welcomed guest

The Beast

Is a cold, harsh unfeeling thing . that we all need to

- Understand it
- Hate it
- Learn how to Control and Tame it

So, how do we beat the Beast ?

Its not easy, over the years, I have never been able to figure out why the Beast returns, but it does!

I've tried yelling back at the beast, I've tried threatening it to go away, and at times I have been semi successful. But why or why does the Beast always want to strike at holidays, family outings, birthdays, everything that should be good.

The Beast is not my friend. I don't want it, I never want to see it again.

But I also need to be realistic.

So now, over all these years, I have built my arsenal so stop it. I am getting better and better and shutting down the
Beast but it is also good to know it does exist!
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 09/04/2015 - 10:56 PM
    .....I don't remember ever coming across this post before. Thanks for the resurfacing!

While reading, it reminded me of so many commercials, showing treatment for, bladder control, depression, and sleeplessness.
    Advertisements show issue to be under control, but the little animated picture representing the issue, is always still present!
    That ever present animated picture worth a thousand words!

As you mention, the beast can't be ignored as it might open to the pain, discomfort, disappointment, various problems.
    I do wish I never met this beast. Initially, I did hate it! But that additional emotional energy so drained my ability to care for myself and limited my ability to learn to tame this beastly thing in my life.

The only thing I differ about, is that now., I don't hate it......I think of my pain, and issues, as someone in need ...who needs care, and I am best caregiver for it!
    It doesn't create havoc in my life on purpose. It doesn't wake me at night to ruin my sleep and health.
    It's in need. So, I have to wake up and take care of it and when it's appeased I can return to sleep, hopefully that same day.

So, for now and future as I see it, the beast and I need to coexist and I need to be in control...the very best I can.
    Im so thankful for all my medical professionals, this site, and all others where I have received information and explanations that has helped train me up to handle this awful assignment of pain control. Whew! It's a full time job!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• William GarzaWilliam Garza TexasPosts: 2,358
    edited 09/05/2015 - 6:52 AM
    You learn to smile in the rain
    You learn to take the reigns
    You learn the true meaning of freedom
    You learn the meaning of captivity
    You learn the grace to move on
    You learn when to stop

You learn humility
    You learn greatness
    You learn to see the light
    You learn about the darkness

Many lessons
    Its not easy to be a Spiney.
    But it is living none the less
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    The BEAST crashes the party. So glad you posted this today. I am in a good place pain-wise right now, but I'm leery to start reducing my pain medicine just yet. I've yet to find the "magic formula" for keeping the beast in its cage!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually SEE the beast.....in my mind it looks like "Monster" from the Muppets. But with teeth lol!
  • Beast
    That was a perfect description of the battle and how we win and we loose but we always need to be aware and do whatever we can to put the wall up. For me lately it is beating me and I hate that, it gets tough to use the tools and when there are not answers and you find it slowly robbing you of your strength, your will to fight on and on.
    When I get on a pity trip I always remind myself of the little girl who rides up and down our street in a chair. She always has a smile and she is in a battle with the Beast every minute of every day.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    edited 09/09/2015 - 12:08 PM
    My Beast seems to be reproducing & making new beasts?
    It used to just appear in my neck, but since my surgeries, it has remained in my neck but has moved to different places in it. It's also gone to my shoulder (rotator cuff surgery) and now possibly ulnar nerve surgery in my elbow.
    I I thought I could handle the one beast for these last 2 1/2 years, but since it's multiplying, I'm having a hard time.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    edited 09/09/2015 - 1:24 PM
    Mike Meyers... (Austin Powers)

Me and Little Me.... The new baby beasts coming alive
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    edited 09/09/2015 - 3:46 PM
    That actually made me laugh out loud!
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 158
    The beast with in me. I fight with it everyday. My pills have no effect on it. It seems the more I try to fight it, the more pain it causes. I won't let it beat me. But it is hard. Right now the beast is in control of what I can and cannot do.
    Greg fisher