Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leading causes of death in the world

This was based on a study done in 2013.

Ranked from 1st to 5th

• 1. Heat Disease
    2. Stroke
    3. COPD
    4. Lower Respiratory Infections
    5. Other Lung diseases/Lung Cancer
Two alarm facts ....

One was that for the leading causes of death in the United States, Cancer was Number 2. In the world, Lung Cancer was the one that made the list as Number 5, part of other lung diseases.

Two The increasing presence of lung related deaths. For the past 3 years, COPD has steadily bern increasing as the cause for deaths. Years ago, it wasnt on the list. The fact that so many deaths worldwide center are lung issues, you have to wonder the cause. I know smoking is one of the major reasons.

When I looked deeper into some of the statistics, chronic pain/spinal issues were not directly mentioned. Indirectly, some of that could be lumped under suicides. We know what chronic pain can do to one's emotional stability. But, the data does not directly support deaths caused by chronic pain. I am sure there could be some additional arguments, such as overdose from medications....
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I was just looking at numbers for different deaths in the United States. Maybe some of the lung issues could be tied to pollution and I have read several articles about house hold chemicals, insect spray etc. is increased in use and could be tied to it too.
    It sure would be interesting to have more facts behind all the diseases instead of just a number. I am also sure suicide in the US and Japan exceed some of the diseases they list but I could be wrong.
    What about the 400,000 that die every year in Hospitals in the USA due to medical errors and diagnoses. I bet that even without the world wide is more than some of the list too. I often wonder why you don't ever hear about that on the news or other places. Why isn't that a hot priority like the drug war, it should be but then maybe it is the politics and money that is involved.
    If you really look at it Chronic Pain when not controlled leads to death, family destruction, insanity, effects the job market on and on.
    Like I said just like when someone overdoses they don't look at the total picture, I think it would shock the world by bringing it to the surface how very few are true pain suffers.
    I get off track sorry this brain of mine is off track.
  • I knew heart death topped this list, in fact the other causes do not come close to heart disease. What would be interesting is to see the breakdown of death by heart disease caused by chronic pain and spinal issues.

This is just my thinking, but I think chronic pain associated with spinal disorders would have to be a major cause due to the fact low back pain is the leading cause of workmanship comp and health concerns in the world, not just America, not just Britain..the world

I found an interesting writer/research anthropologist Esther Gokhale who looked further at the statistics 30 years ago. What she found based on research in France and indigenous tribes was that while urban societies have low back pain as the leading cause of disability far and above, tribal societies do not, in fact they have zero. She has a book, I have ordered and read it. I have taken it to my physical therapy and we have incorporated into my therapy. I have to stop therapy until my fusion, but afterwards it will be a focal point for me in healing. The methodology is better posture and body awareness. I liked that I could make changes easily in my sitting and sleeping that gave immediate relief. Again, I researched it along with my doctors, so please if you google and do this, please do so with doctor approval.

I stay on top of my fitness despite my low back issues and my heart is my number one priority.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,867
    right now with all the statistics and data, is that Chronic pain is not on the list of deaths. Probably very true, no one really dies from chronic pain itself. But with all the associated problems that chronic pain presents, thats enough to at least make it a note in the USA or Worldwide statistics.
    Almost like second hand smoke.

I dont know, its a very difficult question and subject to approach. For the most part, these statistics are based on hard cold black and white facts.

Maybe in the future, the perils of chronic pain will be considered.

So far, it isnt.
  • I was playing with that in my mind the other day..

What I was thinking and now about to write is not in anyway meant to be insensitive to other conditions, please know I really mean that. I'm just thinking thru some things:

There is never a Fun Run for low back pain. There isn't spinal day. I googled to find our "month of awareness," and was surprised, it's now! September. But it's also other groups months of awareness, like children's cancer..which is near and dear to my heart. In fact I set up a fundraiser for a sweet girl with leukemia about this time last year. We were at every craft festival, had a run too. I'm thrilled to say we raised awareness and money and now, a year later, that beautiful sweet girl is in remission and on her way.

Interesting that at every Run I ever attended there is always back doctors or chiropractor groups with a chair or table for 10 minute sessions.

I do wonder why back pain, spinal pain is really not treated in the same caliber as cancer or heart disease? Smoking is terrible for all of them, but you only ever hear about the cancer and heart threats.

Again, gonna sound insensitive: our group needs a celebrity I figure. The closest we got was beloved Christopher Reeve..but again, you could easily, sadly, see his affliction. No one in the news is ever associated with it. When I worked back in the 80's, I remember people being out sick from work for their backs. Sadly isn't wasn't appreciated back then, in fact people laughed and said, ha, probably hungover, my back hurts too. (I saw this from a kids perspective). Nowadays I don't see that as prevalent where I've worked..at least not to my face.

It boils down to awareness. Until a public figure and/ or crisis occurs (number 1 cause of pain now!) spinal conditions simply are not understood, appreciated or tolerated by the main stream, media, insurance companies (even though they know from all the money).

And only with awareness will come funding for information on spinal epidurals with standard procedures, protocol that is reasonable and set in stone for low back pain treatment. Not being told its in your head. Bottom line when someone is diagnosed with cancer they are supported. Even when they are being tested. Look at any Facebook page in the world, sadly someone is facing that and they are getting support. The same should be true for every ailment obviously, and especially the leading cause of pain in the world. My heart breaks every single time I log into Spineland and see yet another post of someone pulling their hair out as they enter our world.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,816
    Does chronic pain kill instantly? No but can it lead to early death, suicide . Yes and the reasearch is there to prove that it does terrible things to the brain and body on an internal scale.
    Yes I do believe it is sad there is no chronic pain awareness like other things. I mean CRPS is , no question, ranked as the highest pain a person will ever experience. One doctor said its as if you have the worst pain than terminal cancer and don't die to be free of it. I mean that strikes more fear to me than most of those other diseases combined. But the sad fact is if you can see the damage it does or you die from it , then it's taken more serious. Everyday people heal from cancer , go about lives and never deal with it again for many types .
    Like Hope3 said I think the fallout from chronic pain may eclipse most others if could be correctly tabulated. In reading many places show chronic pain as the most expensive medical condition , most likely because the others happen late in life but chronic pain can last entire life from early age . The numbers range from 300 billion-660 billion according to reports. No one can measure the intangible destruction to a persons soul and dreams , to me that's the worst
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    .....chronic pain doesn't kill instantly.
    When I first went to pain management, they said my treatment would be that of a cancer patient.
    Yet, we with chronic pain will have to manage, sometimes decades of maintaining effective medications...effective communication with doctor so there isn't any misunderstanding that would take us out of PM and leave us without meds.

Wonder how many people find themselves without care for their pain and the effects of how they self medicate?

With the pain's effect on our entire being, so much is expected of us, year after year after year.
    The pain takes its toll, and yet we are to be "normal" when we respond, communicate, be a good historian of our journey, no hesitations when speaking as it may be read by doctor that we are thinking of fabricating an answer to please him, when in reality, I for one, am trying to understand what he is even talking about.
    God bless those who able to maintain their cognitive skills. I add that to my other losses.

And related deaths...who knows what all the medications are doing to our internal organs?
    Many people worry about Tylenol and Tylenol worries, as they have warnings on label.
    But look at the meds we are taking, or have been taking...everyday.

I knowingly risk shaving few years off my life expectancy to be more comfortable today.
    I don't ask or expect pain free...just the edge off.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Please help me to get it why isn't deaths due to medical misdiagnose and/or errors on that list it exceeds the numbers.
    I am not basing anyone it is a fact and there are those who are upset about it since it is buried and not brought to the attention of the people. I have strong feelings about this and have lost friends and loved ones over errors in hospitals let alone the thousands who go home to die from the infections they get in the hospitals.
    If their going to put out numbers like that they should at least be real about it and my biggest fear when I go in a hospital is I will come out with one of those infections.
    edited 09/12/2015 - 4:49 PM
    I am sure that there are a number of deaths as you described. But those numbers are not in the numbers that those other ones are

I couldn't even begin to think what the percentage of total deaths per year are related to surgical mistakes . I even wonder if anyone has data on that
  • [Deleted User][[Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 09/18/2015 - 12:53 PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited 09/18/2015 - 4:30 PM
    please, by all means call me Ron..... I respond to almost anything!
    I enjoyed reading your comments. Very interesting and thoughtful
    I do hope that everyone reads your response several times.. There was a lot that you did say