Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worst pain ever after lumbar discectomy

I had a 2 level acdf surgery in February and coped really well with the healing process, besides some residual neck pain I am doing well on that front. However, I had an L4/5 discectomy last week and I am not coping at all! I expected pain after surgery but this is unbelievable. I have more leg, hip and foot pain than I thought possible. My hips and lumbar spine are burning intensely all the time. I'm reduced to tears everytime I sit on the toilet from the pain of getting back up. I feel like I need to say that i always felt I had a pretty good pain threshold but this has got me going crazy. I am taking tramadol and paracetamol every 5 hours and I'm topping it up with codeine when I'm at my worst. Can anyone tell me if this is normal.
Fracture L1/L2, Osteoarthritis of lumbar, cervical spine and coccyx, wheelchair bound, ACDF C3/4 &C5/6
Discectomy L4/L5

• Couple things...

Usually this is totally normal, but you need to make sure you don't have nerve damage. A doctor will not admit to this, so keep an eye on this if it doesn't get better.

1. Keep a journal of your daily activity and pain levels.
    2. Have you been back to see the surgeon and talk? When is your follow up?
    3. If this persists longer than 3 weeks, see your doc again, if he doesn't give you answers or do tests etc, get an opinion from a second doc.
    4. Those drugs you are on are as good as taking skittles for pain. Everyone is different, but ask your doc for something new. The combo of norco and ms Contin do wonders for me.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I would think you need to continue to tell doctor how you are feeling
    The awful pain you describe while standing using the bathroom...well that's not an activity you can lessen or postponed until you feel better.

Did you ask doctor about possibility of using an elevated toilet seat? If he says okay, that might be one area that could help you feel somewhat better as you recover.

I don't know , but would a walker or cane be useful to reduce any of your pain when up? I would ask doctor.

Do keep him posted of all you are experiencing. Please let us know if doctor thinks your experiences are normal for you.
    I wish you very best on your continued recovery?
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Michelle99MMichelle99 Posts: 57
    edited 09/06/2015 - 4:39 PM

I've had two discectomys within 4 months at the L5/S1 level, although uncomfortable I did not experience anything like that. Keep an eye on your wound, is it red or inflamed. I would go and see your GP or get in touch with your surgeon to see if this is what you should be experiencing. Definitely ask for an elevated toilet seat, that did help me but I don't remember a continued intense burning in my hip or back. I would get it checked out just in case there may be an infection, which I was told to watch out for. Let us know how you go on

Good luck