Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Im 24 year male 6'2 was in shape and worked out for years.... Im Sure it came from gym where I used to workout hard and heavy. Saw Chiro in past and never really helped.

After having sciatica symptoms for a year now and trying to work around it.... ended up going to get an M.R.I. on lumber spine September 2014
results were found : (MRI WRITTEN REPORT)

It started on right but now sometimes feeling it on left? Why and is it possibile?

• Im thinking its coming after gym days.

I have been working around the injury and trying my best with lower weight and elliminated all things that push the disc out .

I dont know what to do anymore.... I feel it down foot today...
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 483
    My past sciatica pain was mainly on right side, but on occasion was on left, not as bad as the right though. A NS (before March L4-5 fusion with disk replaced, from spondylolisthesis, nerve entrapment, arthritis in disc...had different NS do surgery) said he didn't understand why my pain was on the right, according to MRI should have been the left. And when I carried the slightest thing in left hand, even a lightweight broom, my right leg and foot would start to get numb and tingling. But carrying something light in my right hand had no effect to left or right side. But if I carried something weightier in right, then I would get the nerve sensation down right side. If the nerve was irritated enough, I could barely walk, or sit. The numbing and tingling in itself didn't cause me great pain, it was the sciatic pain in right buttock, side of hip, down thigh to foot.
    At least that's true for me. But many people suffer from congenital issues, or from accidents, and then just good old age.
  • I'm 24 and as I said very into fitness lifestyle (gym and running/cardio) to keep weight off..... but this has been a huge setback for a year so far on me.... and I'm dreading in my lifestyle cant do any cardio and flare up easy if weight lifted wrong..... I'm very tired of this and going on 2nd epidural next week which said if doesn't help... then there wont be any more attempts on the injections itself .
    Life is always changing, but when our body is demanding the change, sometimes it takes awhile for our brain to embrace the choices that may need to be made. It seems to be more difficult to do when that happens at a young age....thinking limited mobility and pain should only be experienced by older folks....but unfortunately, that's not the life journey for many. And even though in past, people had to work harder physically, before modern inventions made some tasks easier on the body, I think we may save ourselves time and pain through using those inventions, but we have also created lifestyles that society accepts as avenues of pleasurable ways of fitness, which for most actually catapults our bodies to feeling older way before we anticipated. I need to listen to my body more too, and treat it with more kindness. I'm not encouraging a life of constant pampering, just becoming more knowledgeable to ways that are abusive to our bodies.
  • will I be able to do atleast stairmaster again and atleast some sports not crazy and atleast handle more weights in gym will be great
    Lots of people can go back to what they used to do with success, But like with professional sports players, the body at some point will discontinue to be as forgiving.
    And speaking from myself being almost 57, I've lived a life pushing myself to do things, and most likely doing it in a way that did me harm. At this point in my recovery it's even hard for me to know those answers for my own future. I just know I have to start seriously question what's best for me, listening to my body (as I've gotten older, my body starts screaming at me sooner and louder), and working with Drs to help myself enjoy life, no matter how my circumstances may change....I pray I never give up trying. I say I pray about that, because I've learned to stop saying "I would never do that", and when in that certain situation myself, well my "pride came before the fall".
  • Best wishes to you my friend.

But in my case what do you think most likly happen if 2nd epideral doesnt do anything
    I've read where some were glad they didn't stop trying with injections, because they ended with a success.
    Personally speaking, injections didn't work for me, but I only tried three. The first one helped for 2 weeks, until I sneezed. It never took away the numbing and tingling I would get from certain movements, but those sensations weren't painful. But my NS at that time, said he didn't believe any further injections would benefit me. Maybe I should have asked for a second opinion then, since I did choose a different one to do my fusion almost a year later. Realistically though, because I continued to work my body so hard physically, a fusion was inevitable. My lower lumbar wasn't stable enough to continue my way of working. Will it be after my fusion heals? I don't have an answer for that yet. All I know is I don't want to have to do this again. And since my NS doesn't recommend me doing my line of work any longer than the three years I planned, it's possible my body won't hold up for even those three.

• Will the gym push me worse than i am. I know i was worse lst year but since i elliminated many execrises specially squats,deadlifts, many bent over back execrises it helped but i do still flare up ok regular execrises maybe i should reduce the weight limit even more
  • livinlifellivinlife Posts: 34
    edited 09/14/2015 - 6:49 AM
    Anyone else?

Nobody on the forum is medically qualified to advise you on how much exercise is safe for you this has to be discussed with a medical professional
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
  • The worst of my issues are mostly in the same places you've described as well. My pain has been down both legs but has always been worse in one side over the other. I also have worse pain after exercise, I think it's due to my having irritated the joint. Your spine takes a lot of impact when you're moving. Maybe the pain getting worse is from the irritation/impact while working out? Definitely something to mention to your dr. And also ask about physical therapy they can help a lot with workouts that irritate your joints less and maybe add some exercises that useless as they may seem at first actually do help with the pain. In my experience the exercise they want you to do in pt wouldn't help with weight loss but it may very well help you get back to something that does.
  • Well i have been avoiding all disc irrationa lifts and sitiations.

Weight wise im doing light and very focused on how i do it.... Im just running out of patience and sick of this sitation
  • There are pages upon pages of people sick of their situation. I'm among them! Believe me, my patience wore thin a long time ago. Sad fact is, if its an injury that will heal over time, it's gonna take its sweet time, weather you have patience for it or not and even after ur likely to injure it again and again and so on until surgery is your only option for relief unless you make some serious (you're not going to like them) changes. Even with those whose surgery went well, it means life altering changes. read some of the posts by others here you will see that not being able to workout the way u want to at the gym and not being able to hobble from bed to toilet, are wildly different outcomes to the same problem.

I'm not trying to be ugly to u, it's just that, that is the harsh reality, one that none of us were prepared for. I wouldn't wish those evils on u or any other soul on earth. I sincerely pray that you get better and stay that way for the rest of ur life. To do that you really need to see ur dr. get put into physical therapy and do what they say! U don't want to end up a few years from now finding out that avoiding irritating those joints ment something so simple as sleeping with a pillow between ur knees not just changing ur workout.
  • livinlifellivinlife Posts: 34
    edited 10/03/2015 - 11:55 AM
    They want to attepmt " Trigger points now" due to that maybe being a soultion and he doesnt want to epideral anymore since no real change
  • today feeling warm where epideral was shot 3 weeks ago little soar still in that area???? anyone know why that was my 2nd