Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

20 days and going

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had L5 S1 spinal fusion done June 24th, and I am still in pain. It is not the same "nerve pain", but I am still on pain killers. Is this normal? When should I start to feel results? :(

• I had my L5-S1 spinal fusion on the 24th as well. I too am still on pain killers and muscle relaxers. I take the pain killers more so for the pain in my hips now. I definately dont have the same pains in my back as I had before. I need the flexeril for the muslce spasms. Just give it time and let your body heal. 20 days is not a long time.

Christina :)
  • Hi Paris,

While it's true that you may still have some residual pain forever, it should hopefully be pain that is completely manageable and you will able to live with it. I know I did for a while! Considering what surgery you've had, it is still really early days so give your body time to recover from what it's been through. Keep a positive attitude, take care of yourself, follow your post-op advice and just hang in there for now. Things WILL improve, just give yourself some time. Hugs, Spicey
  • I've had 4 surgeries (ankle and shoulder) in the past 2 years from this darn accident - the one that is sending me into back surgery in less than a week - and honestly I feel like all the surgeries do is change how and where it hurts.

The only benefit I can figure out so far is that the pre-op pain is a bad pain - one that is doing damage. The post-op pain is what you get left with from the original injury, but hopefully you aren't doing anymore damage.
  • hope things get better
  • Hey Paris!

You are really just out of the box. You know the mantra. Everyone heals at different rates and pain symptoms run the gamut. Get some rest and some drugs. Good luck.