Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

four and a half weeks almost five from ACDF

When were you able to wash dishes by hand? Leaning over a sink for twenty or so minutes. I ask because I asked my surgeon's assistant if I could do light laundry say one pair of jeans and a couple of sorts. My husband said he'd continue doing the laundry he wanted me to wash cups. We got into a fight where he asked if I was delusional, lazy, or lying when I said that washing chips would be harder on me. So when were you able to wash cups? Big cups like 32 ounces.

If I'm able to do it I will. My husband is still mad at me. I'm not a good housewife in general and have a chronic fatigue condition that makes him call me lazy all the time so I really want to resolve this. I bought disposable cops and have been using those and he has been washing his own cups thus far but by our agreement that is my job.

Any help appreciated.

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    You are still early in your recovery. It's better to call your doctor to ask about your restrictions.
    I m sorry that your husband isn't more supportive to you. You just had major surgery, it's best to take it easy & give your body enough time to heal.
  • I fell in March and fractured my shoulder, elbow, and my foot. And at that time I was put in a neck brace till neck surgery could take place. Due to the fact my pans and china were too heavy for me to handle we started using paper plates, cups and bowls for everything. We also moved the entire kitchen around so that the items that I use most are reachable for me. Four instance, normally our dishwasher detergent is under the sink. Now, we put a handful of tablets in a cup on the counter.

I was on my feet yesterday for hours just straightening up the house, sweeping, making the beds, making cupcakes, hanging clothes, etc. and I paid the price. Fortunately, I made dinners in advance and froze them prior to my surgery. So I am not standing in the kitchen making dinner each night. But by night time I went to bed with ice on my neck.

As far as laundry goes, I do not know how you can bend over to pick up your items from the laundry basket, carry your items to the washing machine and then transfer them wet. They would just be too heavy. And there are more issues with bending over then carrying.

If you hurt, you need to sit. I would be afraid of making everything worse.
    C4-C5 ACDF surgery with plating August 28.
    cord compression due to disc-osteophyte complex
  • LamManLLamMan Posts: 121
    edited 09/09/2015 - 5:55 AM
    Don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable or causes pain. Tell the hubby to go and get some paper cups!!! 4 weeks is very raw, you need to rest, take naps and listen to your body!! Everything else can wait!!
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    Just be careful! Vacuuming is very hard on the neck! I would check with your doctor to see if you should be doing that?
    You certainly don't want to risk messing anything up.
  • TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 265
    edited 09/09/2015 - 12:52 PM
    Some can do that stuff at 4 weeks, and some can't.
    In my experience, laundry is WAY harder than dishes. At 9 months out (and my case is not normal), I still don't do laundry because of the lifting, bending, arms up, etc - it makes my shoulders spasm. But I can do dishes, although I limit them to mild cleaning, nothing heavy duty, and not for any extended amount of time.
    (oh darned!)

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• jamesgirllljjamesgirlll Posts: 115
    edited 09/09/2015 - 6:28 PM
    And now I'm super sore and icing my back of my n
    I was allowed to do all that but I think it's just too much too soon.
  • ShelleyazSShelleyaz Posts: 63
    edited 09/09/2015 - 7:27 PM
    My naturopathic doctor has taught me to listen to my body. If you do something and have pain then you know you are not ready to do that. For me, standing too long in the kitchen can be worse than putting a small load of wash in the machine.

Your doctor can advise based on the general population but only you can give him updates about what is happening to you.

You continue to have many valid concerns. I would keep calling and asking. My NS is willing to see me anytime I have a concern. Maybe it's time to make a list and go in and talk to him.

This is a serious surgery don't be afraid to be a little pushy to get answers.
    C4-C5 ACDF surgery with plating August 28.
    cord compression due to disc-osteophyte complex
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    edited 09/11/2015 - 2:24 AM
    Doing to much
    Not doing enough

You should always listen and adhere to all the restrictions and limitations that your doctor and discharge papers documented. That is what you need to follow. Those will spell out actions such as when you can drive, the amount of weight you can pick up, etc.

Once you are discharged from the hospital and are home , the scenario can begin. First, lets forward at least 2 weeks, so that the initial surgical pain is gone, and the recovery phase starts.

You start to feel better, so then you start to do a little more, maybe something more each day. You might be fine and not having any negative effects, but for some, they will have a lot of discomfort and down time. But what is the line? So much depends on the type of surgery you had, but since we are talking cervical ACDF here, lets concentrate on that.

• - Pushing (broom) or pulling (raking) would be ill advised
      - Lifting beyond the maximum limit
      - Quick turning of your head (side to side or up and down)
      - Driving
      - Computer or desk work
      - Cooking (activities that have you standing in one position, with your head bent forward even slightly)
    These are just some activities that take time before you can start them and how long you can do any of them at one time. Excessive time at anyone of those activities, I am sure is going to cost you something the following day.

And on the other side, because you have surgery, you should not go into a shell and basically become a couch potato. That could easily have longer time impacts on your recovery.

Listen to your body. Moderation is the key here. If there is ANY doubt about a certain activity, call your doctor. It makes much more sense doing that then risky a problem.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you. Washing dishes has the danger of standing in one place and leaning your head down.
    That's why I thought it would be worse than laundry.