Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Urinary retention from meds

SpineyKD23SSpineyKD23 IllinoisPosts: 89
edited 09/09/2015 - 5:19 AM in Pain Medications
Hello everyone,

I seem to be sensitive to pain medications. Before my last surgery I was on norco (I can't remember the dosage) every 6 hours for 10 days before I ended up in the ER with urinary retention and had to get a catheter. I can take norco on occasion and it works well for me, but I can't take it regularly.

50 mg of Tramadol is what I have been using when I have a flare up, but I have found that it really doesn't relieve enough of my pain for me to want to continue taking it. I struggle with depression and it makes that worse, causes constipation, kills my sex drive, and I am starting to notice that I am having trouble urinating. I have switched to acetaminophen and aspirin for now and will talk to my doctor about it, but I am wondering if anyone else is particularly prone to urinary retention with pain meds? If so have you found a medicine that works for you? 50 mg is a low dose- apparently I'm just sensitive.
25 years old: Herniated L4-L5, L5-S1 December 2008. L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2010. L5-S1 microdiscectomy March 2012. Redo L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2013. Redo microdiscectomy Oct 2015.

• Hi spiney,I take tramadal and norco with same retention problem.I drink apple cider vinegar with water every morning and it helps me.I am new here and not giving advice but just telling you what I do.I have been taking the 2 meds for a long time.