Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI Claustrophobic

I was wondering if any of you have heard of not being able to take a Valium due to claustrophobic during MRI if you are taking pain medications such as 30mg (3) a day and 10/325 (3) a day.
I called last week and again on Tues. left a message with the Neurologists assistant telling her about my problem and never heard back until 3:30pm today. My apt. for the MRI is at 5pm and she got really irritated with me when I told her that does not give me time to get to the Pharmacy.
She said well you first cannot take that Valium within taking those pain meds within 8hrs. and we are busy this is the first chance I have had to call.
I think it would be nice to be told about not mixing the meds first of all I have never heard of that and have had several MRI's with and without Valium.
Have any of you ran into that? Those are the kind of reactions that make me want to move on to another Doctor I get sick of the crap.
Thanks Sheryl

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    A couple of years ago, I put this thread together MRI's are fun I guess after so many MRIs I just had to put that together.

However, for the past 4 years, all of my MRI's have been done in a larger bore tube, not open, but defintely bigger. I can just about turn over in the tube.. Not worried at all.... In fact it felt easy.

That feeling that your nose is right up against the top of the tube..... not any more.

But you have to find a diagnostic center that has this large bore MRI tubes.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I will check it out MRI's are fun what a great idea. Wish I would have read it before my MRI. Just got back and it wasn't so bad in fact forget the Valium. I usually experience a feeling like being locked in a casket not good. Today I thought of the tear running down my face form laying on my back. I imagined it screwing up the whole MRI and having to do it over. That would have been pay back ha ha. Then I really did the tool of visually picturing one of my favorite memories of fishing rivers with my boys. That nurse who irritated me today did not even cross my mine yeah.
    I did not even know they had machines like that, the old standard one I was in your forehead is close to the ceiling no fun but I did not open my eyes.
    Thanks Ron
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    Ugh, I used to be able to just stare at roof and nose almost touched and didn't phase me at all. I could sleep , chill, whatever. After my neck injury I have not been able to do one without meds
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I have had many MRI's & I am extremely claustrophobic. My doctors have given me Ativan to take before the test. I was also taking hydrocodone. Maybe Valium & Ativan are different?
    I still cried the entire time I was in there. Didn't dare open my eyes, but the tears still flowed out.
    I'm glad you got throught it.
  • Hi,

I feel your pain, I've just had my 5th one last week and I have to say they don't get any easier. I have to go in feet first and then look back as far as I can to see the pictures on the ceiling, which are only just visible. When I had my first one of the Radiographers stayed with me and held on to my head during the whole time. I try to be brave now, like you say you have to imagine yourself in another place.

Well done for getting through it without meds. I hope your results are ok.
  • I need to update my MRI too. Have been terribly claustrophobic since childhood. We now have an open one so I won't need any valium this time around. I cannot understand why your doc was so rude Hope3 when you gave her ample time for a call back. Also I know plenty of people who take valium, ativan, xanax with pain meds everyday so I don't get that part either. Oh well, maybe she was just having a bad day and kinda took it out on you. So sorry. Glad you got thru it!

• Sounds like I am not alone in panic with those machines. I did make it yeah and from now on I am going to try to avoid the meds. I hate putting drugs in my body but I might change my mind for sure. Thanks for the well wishes too I really appreciate that. I am nervous I had a CT scan last week on my stomach also he said he is concerned with cancer. CT with Dye Wow that was an experience no one told me about the feeling of peeing my pants or that you think your elbows are going to get crushed before they stop the machine. Oh yeah and also the MRI was to see if I had a stroke so it was a busy week. I am alright what will be will be I just want some answers any answers at this point. I am grateful for your kindness beyond words.
    Ron I did read the MRI you posted it was great everyone should read that and I bet they could add to it. I also found some great comments that made me laugh that follow after that post.
    Yes she may have been in a bad mood but I went to the first apt. with her and she spent her whole time just about with her back to me looking at the monitor not sure if I am going to stick with that one. Oh and no physical exam that always bugs me too, time will tell.
    Thanks so much all of you
  • We used to call that "No Bedside Manner!" I have seen more than my share of them too. It also means little to no empathy which is the last thing any of us need. It took me awhile but I finally learned that life is too short to just put up with things unless you have no choice. I would look for a new Doc if it were me. It makes me sick to think she would mistreat you but people like that don't generally get better with age.

I am getting ready to get my MRI next week and I saw on my paperwork to please make an appt with my MD. I called to see why thinking they had made a mistake and was informed that I was having an MRI and a CT scan with Contrast. Said they need me to take a blood test at MD to make sure my kidneys are in good shape because contrast dye is hard on them. I have never heard that but it may be because I am over 50 now.

• I do freak out when i get there. I am 6 ft and 265 lbs. They also want to put a frame around my head. What gets me through it is NOT to look and imagine I am on the beach. I day dream about people from my past that are gone now. Like my dad, mom, uncle. It mentally removes me from the situation of being in a torpedo tube with no way out.