Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice on pillow selection post a do and other sleep issues

libb904llibb904 Posts: 1
edited 09/10/2015 - 5:10 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am almost a year post op acdf surgery and for the most part had a very good recovery. Of course had the usual swallowing issues initially but for the most part I considered the surgery a total,success. Pain gone and only had to use meds for about 2 weeks post op. However, recently I have been waking up gasping for air and, according to my husband, snoring like a bear. I have not had much luck finding the right pillow and neck support and my quality of sleep has diminished. Anyone have suggestions?

Look at the following sections in Spine-Health

Different types of pillows

Also, since you mentioned about your snoring and then waking up gasping for air, those are just some signs of sleep apnea. Have you ever had this situation before your surgery?
Perhaps a sleep study might be something you should look into.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/10/15 10:57est

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 09/10/2015 - 10:58 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 496
    I'm thinking you have been having to sleep on your back since surgery. Could be temporary, from inflammation in airway passage from surgery, causing enough narrowing to bring on sleep apnea. I would definitely get it checked out.

I have sleep apnea because I have a narrow passage way. Not a thick neck, or overweight, although gaining five pounds can increase my apnea symptoms. Aging has also increased symptoms, reduced muscle strengh in that area, probably a better way or word to describe that. So, it's best for me to continue using cpap machine for it. My ex used to call me Darth Vader, but there were some nights he snored also, and felt like putting mask on him. Not everybody that snores has sleep apnea though. But before I was diagnosed I would wake myself up gasping if I slept on back, which I often do.

Hope you get some answers, and some good sleep soon.