Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Questions

edited 09/10/2015 - 10:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Back in March 2015 I had ACDF surgery done in my neck. He put two plates in and then some screws. Located like where an adams apple would be if I had one. Not sure if its but I think he said to correct C5,6 and 7. Anyhow I had it done on a Friday and went to work on Monday morning fighting and refusing to use meds or let the pain win. Made the right decision FOR ME. Only went to physical therapy 6 times. I see no need to go crawl on someones floor for twenty minutes on all fours at 49 years old then ride a exercise bike for ten minutes .. Not sure how those [edit] thought that would help my neck....it surely did not. I need your advice guys. I am struggling with three issues. I instantly had and still have neck fat/weight/swelling....as you can tell I am not sure what to think of that. I know have two or three chins if I bend my neck straight down to my chest. GROSS. Please anyone do you know of any way to lose that extra weight in my neck? AM hoping its just muscle tone that can be corrected to some degree. Just don't know any neck strengthening exercises. My second problem is I can feel the rain coming a day before it does and it makes me ache all over. Just want to go to bed but I don't. Thinking of moving to Arizona where its a drought:). Anyone else have that problem and if so what do you do about it? And last but not least when I swallow it still feels a little rough in there does it ever get all the way better? Its came a long way but still fear that I will choke on my food because it feels like the passage is partially blocked by scar tissue or something.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• Hi, a ACDF doesnt heal quickly i am sorry to tell you. The swelling should decrease as time goes by. The tickle in your throat should be address by a doctor if it's still bothering you. Mine only bothered me for a few days and i swollowed ice chips to relieve any pain. Rain effects me too and that's arthritis thats inflammed. I soak in a pool and hot tub and i also wear my soft cervical collar at home and sometimes to bed to rest my neck. I was also off work for 3 months. With you working you may have delayed the healing process some. I also did therapy until it was over. The doctors prescribe therapy and medicine for a reason. They also have a the degree and listening to your physician is very necessary.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Mark BMMark B Posts: 2
    edited 09/10/2015 - 10:00 PM
    I just said two level fusion "C6/C7" on September 1, 2015. I am going to to see my doctor on September 14 and plan on going back to work on September 15. I thought that was one of the shorter rehabilitation process is I have heard about until yours. I think some of your swelling could be from the fact that you abandon some of the rehab exercises too soon. I agree that some of those don't seem to be very worthwhile initially but I do think they help more than we think. I have had to lower back surgeries in the past 15 years and I stayed with therapy for the first three or four weeks but then diligently did similar work at home several days a week as well. I have no problem from those surgeries whatsoever. Not sure if I would just move to a different state just yet – maybe consult a doctor very experienced in that type of work and see what he says. I would think you will hear things all over the board from a site like this. Everyone's anatomy and recovery pace is different in my opinion.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
    Mark B
    2 level cervical fusion on 9-1-15