Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Done enough lurking, time to engage

CervicalChrisCCervicalChris Posts: 2
edited 09/11/2015 - 12:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,

I've spent several weeks pre- and post-operation on this site, getting educated and getting great advice. I thought it was finally time for me to get engaged. On 14 August I had C-4/C-5, C-5/C-6 discectomies, C-5 corpectomy, and bi-lateral foraminotomies at each level. I also have a PEEK cage where C-5 used to be along with a titanium plate bridging the gap. Hope I spelt all that correctly :-)

So far, if I'm honest with myself, I've had a great experience with it - the pain, numbness, and tingling in my left hand and both arms has all but ceased. I still feel some spasms/muscle twitching above the elbows, but with everything they did, I wouldn't expect anything else - all that poking and prodding was sure to stimulate the nerve roots even more.

The only challenge I'm really having at present is sleeping with this hard cervical collar, but I have only a few weeks left to wear it; I'll transition to a soft collar (hopefully) at the end of September.

I thought now would be a good time to share my experience if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Please click on link for helpful information
Welcome to Spine-Health
Liz -Spine-health Moderator
Chris A

• I love your topic header, lurching. Reminds me of another great word, skulking. Anyways, welcome and so glad to hear you are doing well!

I think it is wonderful that you came to the boards after your surgery and with good news. Too often, myself included..we come here for support during our most trying hour and then leave, because we are healed. That is a wonderful thing, but in the absence of positive surgical outcomes, new members only see the negative outcomes and it can leave them disheartened and scared. I hope to be like you and stick around after my fusion to share the positives, because all of my surgeries have always been exceptional outcomes too.

I've never had neck issues, but from one spinal headache after an injection I did have a taste of neck pain, blessedly it ceased after a few days. I cannot imagine the pain you were in!? I am so hopeful for your recovery and hope you get better sleep after transititioning to soft collar.

• Hi 2dgs4cmpany!

I was told a long time ago the following saying, which I've always kept in mind: "Courage is fear that has said its prayers." What that meant to me was, I'm still going to feel fear, and I should actually honour that, not push it away or feel weak because of it; you simply don't let it stop you from taking action. That's what courage really means, at least in my mind. When I read all the posts I've read here, I was struck by how you all exemplified courage, and I wanted to be a part of it. :) My personal journey hasn't entirely been "peaches and cream", so to speak. I could very much relate to everyone on this site, working through not only the physical aspect of having a spine condition but the emotional side as well. Beating myself up for not taking better care of my body when I was younger, wondering how well I was going to handle life after this surgery, you name it.

You all have inspired me, and if nothing else, I just wanted to thank you all, even the folks brave enough to share their 'down' times. I knew I was not alone. I'd gone through the cortisone epidurals, physiotherapy, etc., a couple of years ago, so I know how frustrating it is when the benefits of conservative treatment fail and how scary it is when having to face surgery.

If I don't stop here, I'll end up writing a novella :-) , so I'll jump into the various topics on the board. Thanks again - looking forward to making new e-friends here!
    Chris A