Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 41 year old female. I had a discectomy and fusion at C5-6 in 2001 due to loss of function and muscle mass in my left arm and hand. The surgery was (eventually) a complete success.

In 2005 I injured my low back doing yard work. MRI showed a disc bulge at L5-S1. My ortho recommended injections and surgery. But even then he noted due to the degenerative changes and the genetic structure of my back (small pedicles), the outcome was unknown. I had PT, and just tolerated the pain. I had a baby without problems. I exercised a lot. Slowly the pain worsened until I could not sleep at night.

Then 3 weeks ago I re-injured my low back doing yard work again. This time I had pain down my leg into my left foot. Both feet were numb and I had foot drop on the left. I went from very active to barely able to walk a quarter mile dragging my foot. I had consults with a neurologist, neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon. MRI showed the disc bulge at L5-S1 was larger and compressing the nerve to my leg. All recommended immediate surgery. So a week and a half after injury I underwent a bilateral laminotomy and discectomy at L5-S1.

That was 10 days ago. I had some immediate improvement as I could lift my toes on the left foot a little whereas before I could not at all. The surgeon indicated there was a big piece of disc floating around and the nerve was severely inflamed. I realize it takes time for these things to heal, but I am nervous about whether the footdrop will improve. It is very debilitating. Meanwhile, I am caring for my 2 year old as best I can and still hoping I can heal well enough within 6 months to try for another baby. The 3 surgeons I consulted with indicated I will likely need to have a fusion in the future. One actually wanted to fuse 3 levels now, but we went with the least invasive option offered.

I have already learned a lot from this site and hope to learn much more.

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have high hopes along with you that your surgery will be a complete success. it is still early and you have a ways to go. i hope you will use SH as much as you need to finish your pain travels. good luck and i will see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to spine-health.....
  • Redrock, hello and welcome to the forum. You sound like you went through so much pain and with a baby I know very well how hard this is on you... I had my first surgery 3 mos right after I had my beautiful daughter so I understand.

I think you're still early in recovery and you're showing good signs of your movements in your toes... I pray for you it keeps on improving.. with nerve injuries it takes sometimes as long as 1-2 yrs for recoveries so be patient and listen to your dr's advise.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted with your recovery.

lotus :)