Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain after Spinal Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello,

I am new to this. I recently had a 2 level fusion, L4, L5 & SL
6 weeks ago. I recently developed numbness and pain in the right leg along with stabbing pain in the left leg and my back in the surgical area. Can anyone please tell me what is it that I am experiencing?

Thank you,

Phil. :(
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry you are experiencing that pain. I also had fusion L-4,L-5,S-1. The symptoms you are explainig are exactly what I had. I originally had nerve damage on the left leg prior to fusion. Soon after surgery I experienced it down my right leg as well.

I am a year and a half out from surgery and am doing ok. I had a difficult recovery and I hate you are experiencing some complications. You just need more time. Don't push yourself. Just take it easy. God Bless!
  • Phil, hello and welcome. I'm sorry for the pain you're having.
    I also had the same surgery as you had 8 months ago. I certainly suggest you contact your dr and see what he has to say! Maybe he'll want to take MRI or something. I had sudden pains in my right leg after surgery and that's what the dr had me do just to make sure everythig is ok..
    Good luck to you and let's know what you're doing.

Lotus :)
  • It is very difficult because I am an Aerobic intructor, I am also teach Yoga and Pilate. I am fine when I am walking not pain at all, but the minute I get in bed every muscle in my body aches.

I took a cold shower today hoping it would help. I know it's going to take a while, I had this problem for ten years now so it's not the end of the world.

Thanks!
  • Hi Lotus26,

did the MRI revealed anything?
  • After you had the MRI and you saw your dr you said it showed nothing, Then did your dr give you any kind of meds to help you with the pain and numbness?

• I had a L4-5/S1 the last week of April and I'm having alot of leg and foot pain, they tell me it's just going to take time.
  • Hi Philly,

I had the same problems as well. Doctor told told me "P'd off nerves". I think that's an official diagnosis for me. LOL

I know its hard being in pain, always relay your pain messages to your doctor because they may have a medication or a specific PT exercise that will help calm it down. YOU are in PT right? I had PT and OT in the hospital and at home for the fist 2 months, then went to PT at a clinic when I was cleared to drive.

Recovery from nerve pain is verrrry slow. My fusion was 03/2007, still not totally healed. Your only 6 wks out and are probably forming scar tissue and your nerves are still in full action from your surgery. Most doctors I have seen said the best thing is to walk, walk, walk.. Don't push yourself, do what you can do.

Let us know how your doing. Hope to see you on the boards.
    O-
  • I'm sorry you are in so much pain, but I think what everyone else is saying is true, it just takes so much time to heal nerve pain. Isn't it the worse pain possible? Are you taking any meds specifically for nerve pain? I was told that the regular pain meds won't address nerve pain, also Ice is your friend as well.

I wish you well and pray you get answers soon. Remember to be good to yourself and take it slow.

Pebbles
  • Phill no at that time it didn't show anything. Everything was as good as I was right after surgery... I think what triggered this for my is starting at the time PT at home and the therapist pushed me a bit much so dr stopped me from doing any at the time till about 4 weeks later I went for pt outside the home and it's the greatest thing I ever done and am still going for it...

• Hi Philly. I hope the nerve pain is getting better. I suffered with nerve pain for almost 30 yrs before having my fusion and because of the nerve damage that I already had, it took a good 6 mos or more for the fusion to help me. My Dr. had said it would be aleast 4 and 1/2 mos before I'd know if my fusion took. Because it still wasn't good I again asked how long is it going to take? His replay was, since I'd had this problem for so many yrs, it was going to take longer to heal. I suppose out of the almost 4 yrs since having my fusion...I've had maybe a yr and a half of feeling better. My problem was always the horrible burning knife cutting pain in my left leg. And then following the fusion, I began having constant back pain...but, the leg pain got much better with time. Now, I've had horrible back pain since missing a step on a ladder back in Feb. My Dr. says I need another fusion one level above the other one! I'm telling you, once you have one fusion...more fusions seem to be necessary because of the stress put on the level above and below the fusion. Best of luck and take it easy. I never did any PT until at least a yr and 1/2. And then it made my leg pain start up again. It quit after I backed off from my excercises.
  • All I can say is I cant sleep for more than 2 hours at a time and dont know what to do. Pain can be so bad it brings me to tears wich is a little embarassing, but I try to keep up every 4 hours with my meds, and standing is ok and little walks are ok. Its the sitting and getting situated in bed that is the worst. Like i said I had the sugery 7-7-08, and I am just praying the pain gets better soon. I dont know if I need more or different meds. i see my Dr. on 7-25-08 (this Friday) so hopefullt I get some answers. Oh yes, one more thing I have, I thnk 36 staples in my back that are coming out this Friday. is that Painful when they cut them out ? Thanks for any info.
  • Hi Keith~
    Just wanted to talk to you about the staple removal... They don't have to cut them out, they have a staple remover that slides under the staple and then bends it in the middle so it will let go of the skin and come out. It's not painful, but it does get your attention! I didn't have as many staples as you, but I didn't find the process to be too bad. Good luck with getting them removed.
    Do you take any sleep aids at night or have pain meds that can help you at night? A sleep medication or maybe even a muscle relaxer might be helpful to help you sleep at night. It's possible that you are experiencing muscle spasms that is making you uncomfortable...">image
  • I am taking percocets 2 every 4 hours, and 1 valuem (spelling ?) every 8 hours. That helps to a point, I was also taking oxycodone when needed because the percocets were not giving me total relief for the 4 hours. Of course the oxycodone ran out they only gave me 20, so I am a little nervous about taking a sleep aid as well. I will be caling the Doctors office tomorrow to ask them a few things, as far as renewing a new script but that has to be done in person since they cant call that in to the pharmacy. I guess I cant wait to get theses staples out, my neice said "Uncle Keith has a zipper on his back" that was funny.So we will see tomorrow what info i get, thank and have a great nite!
  • I had exactly the same surgery done about the same time you had your surgery done, and me to I'm new here also,but I feel the need to reach out also because im not sure if this pain were feeling is supposed to like this?. Actually I think the pain is worse now than before the surgery?. Ill find more out 2morow when i see my surgeon who done the surgery?? " The Orthopedic Micheal Jordan he called himself??" I hope so?? Did you have uncontrolable Pain for about 6 days after your surgery? I mean where nothing like Morphine,phetanal,Diluidid, or whatever else they threw in there worked??. Let me know please because that is a question i have to ask him ,and it would be helpful if someone else out there had the same experience?? Hang in there!
advertisement