Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will i be able to jog again

going to have a spinal fusion done at the L5 S1. Im 30 years old and was wondering will I be able to jog again or more so what are the chances that the fusion will remove the complain completely or bring it down some? I know everyone is different but would like to hear your opions on this. thank you all
advertisement

Comments

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 506
    edited 09/13/2015 - 2:55 PM
    I've seen people do much more than that after surgery. You'll have to go by your Dr's recommendations, of course. I think for the most part people can go back to what they used to do, but you shouldn't expect your body to be like you never had a lumbar fusion. I would make sure you're aware of all the risks, and any possible limitations of certain physical activities.

I'm almost 57, had my one and hopefully only fusion last March. I'm not back to working my physically demanding yet....time, and how my body heals, will help me decide when and if I will go back to doing that work again. I'm hoping I'll be able to, but my body has been less forgiving the older I get. I did have a great dream the other night though; I was running down a red carpeted long hallway.....felt great!

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 801
    Deat Harry

You should consult your doctor to be sure. However as a non-professional... but from personal experience I can tell you that it is certainly possible to over do it and end up back on the surgeons table. In May of 2013 I had a PLIF L4-L4-S1 fusion surgery which took a long time to recover from but overall it went well and solved by problems. After 12 months I was like a new man again... and I went back to doing all the "guy things"... heavy lifting, chopping wood, etc,...and within only 6 months I was back in the hospital undergoing more surgery. It seems when you have a lumbar fusion the now much larger fused lumbar puts 'excessive' pressure on your remaining discs and you can easily herniate that disc... which is exactly what happened in my case. My L3-L4 disc had been badly herniated by the fused L4-S1 lumbar. Now days I'm extremely cautious about lifting things or over doing it for fear of wrecking/herniating more discs. It's just a fact of life for me now... Once again I'm not a professional and this is just my personal experience...
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • Awesome Harry, definitely talk and listen to doctor and really listen to your body. I had first fusion at 30. Awesome results. I wanted to run. My doctor said I could, but to listen to body. (L4/5) was the level I had fused. So I ran. It was wonderful, oh so wonderful. But Harry...I just don't know if I should have. The doctor had told me the next level up on my back would need attention on ten years. He was right, I had second fusion, only in eleven years. Now doctor said, no running. No no no. So I gave it up (heartbroken, but wiser.). Now I'm 42 and having the level below the original done. Doctor telling me not to even walk if possible for fear of damaging nerves. My point in sharing this: talk to doctor first. Think. You don't want to have another fusion, ever. I think in my situation I was gonna have it anyways due to the way my back is...so for me, I'm glad I ran. I just will never recommend to others because it is absolutely not worth my situation now. I don't know if it was just the running, like I said, I have very bad back. But of course it didn't help. Anyways, that was my experience.
    Happy