Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please report problems and concerns here.
Reporting problems
Spine-Health is now up and running on the new system
Simple Tutorial on how to use the new system

how long does it take for fusion

dcarterdcarter Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 1:19 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have heard different stories. I am going in on the 18th for my 3 month post op and hoping for the best. I am tired of not being able to lift anything over 10 pounds because I would love to be able to keep my grandson overnight. He is only 5 months but much heavier than 10 pounds.
I just want to see if there is a timeline that I should be looking at. The DR says 9 months but I hear that some people fuse quicker and I am hoping to be one of them soon.
advertisement

Comments

• You are right, everyone is different. I was fused at 7 months, using my own hipbones, and a turtle shell fusion brace that I wore for 4 of those months.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • depends on the person, plain and simple.
  • I was fused at 6 months and again like the others said it defers from one person to another. You'll still have to be careful with the lifting.

good luck.

Lotus :)
  • Solid at 9-1/2, but weight limit was raised to 20 pounds at about 3 months.
    Permanent weight limit of 20!
    Good luck!
  • It's fusion in L4/L5/S1 what is yours for?
  • fusion 22 almost 23 weeks ago. Could only see fusing at 20 weeks, beginnings at 16 weeks, but still not enough to start PT. Couldn't start PT until I was 20 weeks, and 87% fused. Takes longer than your doc tells you.... The whole healing process is longer than the tell you. Sit back, relax, tons and tons of patience, and walk walk walk...
  • Hi there I just found this site after trying to see if I can sue my previous doctors for not giving me the spinal fusion I needed over a year ago. I just had a fusion at my L5S1 4 weeks ago. I am glad to see so many great results. Though I am getting anxious to start feeling better I see it really takes along time
  • dcarter:

We are all different as to how we recover and fuse. I had a TLIF, L2/3 (at age 57). My own bone was used and I fused in 6 weeks. This is unusually fast and not the norm. I am at almost 10 months now. I don't do any heavy lifting. I feel that I have had a pretty good recovery, but have a ways to go. I have discovered that this is a long recovery process, you have to be patient.

Ellen
  • Hi Lotus,

I did laminectomy and and TLIF too, L4/L5/S1
  • just wondered how long spinal fusion surgey actually takes in operating theatre
advertisement