Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help with pain management doctor.

pgolfer22ppgolfer22 Posts: 2
edited 09/13/2015 - 9:19 PM in Chronic Pain
Hello, I am relatively new to pain management. I know there is a contract about other doctors prescribing you medicine.
I went to my general care doctor just because I had a chronic cough and felt terrible. He prescribed me your normal anti biotic and prednisone. BUT here is the catch and its pretty unique, this is like a stop in walk in clinic type place, and he was going to prescribe me hydrocodone cough syrup for my cough and to help me sleep. You have to bring in the sheet to the pharmacy obviously nowadays and I think they printed the wrong prescription, and it was an old pain 90 pill 3 month supply of hydrocodone pills that he prescribed me a long time ago BEFORE I went to pain management. I had to go to work, so without even looking I assumed it was the cough syrup prescription took it home dropped it off for my wife to take and went back to work. I came home and its a bottle of 90 pills? She didn't know the situation with pain management so I freaked out about it being filled!!!
This was a complete accident. Now I have an appointment this Tuesday and I know they cant prescribe me any narcotics which is fine I have plenty but I just don't want them to think I was seeking pain meds elsewhere when it was an honest error on their part due to the lack of organization they have. Its a low grade doc in abox as they call it... What do you think I should do? I don't want to be dropped by my pain doctor. I do not know if each visit they check your recent prescription status or what? Please let me know how to approach this for those of you who have a lot of experience with pain doctors.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I would waste no time. Call the pharmacy and take the meds back(hopefully they haven't been opened), call your GP and explain what happened, then call the PM and explain the whole situation to them.

Most PM's are pretty strict(mine included) and when you sign that Pain Contract that says you cannot accept narcotics from any other source that is exactly what it means. Hydrocodone cough syrup would be a big no-no as well. You can't accept narcotics in any form.

As PM patients we have to follow the rules to the letter and if in doubt, CALL your PM and ask! He is the only one who can make exceptions.

And yes, if you do get dismissed from this practice, it will follow you to the next.

I would waste no time in calling because there is a good chance that your PM already knows. Pharmacist have access to PMP where all narcotic prescription you have filled are listed. My pharmacist has my signed Pain Contract with my PM and would call him if I tried to fill a pain script from anyone else.

Just do everything you can to make this right and don't ever do it again. You have to put in the work to establish a trusting relationship with your PM. That trust is absoutely priceless! I will say a prayer for you this morning. Please let us know how things work out for you.

PS...If the pharmacy doesn't want to take the meds back, I know the PM can take them, destroy them, and put it in your record.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    edited 09/14/2015 - 2:03 AM
    do NOT open the pill container!
    Call the pharmacy and your doctor as soon as you have the opportunity to explain the situation.

I do have to stress how important it is to:

• - Look over the written prescription given to your by your doctor - mistakes do happen!
      - Look at the prescription container you get back from the pharmacist very carefully, at times do a pill count

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I did what you all recommended I haven't opened it. I tried taking it back. Problem is I don't think the PM doc will buy it even if I bring them
    In and explain sotuation. That's why I was wondering if the pain doctors analyze your prescription each visit even if your not a new patient? From what I've read they do not look each visit and my pm does not urine test each visit either. Just curious about this I would prefer to avoid dealing with it at all, this pm doc has a reputation for not caring and being more concerned with his own issues.
  • If you explain the situation to your PM and give them the meds, I would think that would really go along way as far as him trusting you. On the other hand if you keep the meds and he finds out down the road, you will surely be dismissed and you will have no chance to explain anything. I am not sure why you would even be considering taking that risk. With the PMP the pharmacists and doctors have access to, somebody is probably going to see it. That is part of the reason PM doctors usually restrict their patients to filling at one pharmacy only. The pharmacists also send that info to the DEA. You could be in far more trouble than you are anticipating if you are not 100% honest with your PM. Take care and keep us updated.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    you will probably start playing Russian roulette.

You may get away with this situation a couple of times, but things like this have a way to catch up. And when that happens you lose.

Being straight forward and honest in this situation is your best choice. Maybe not initially, and maybe not with this pain management doctor, but dont give up. Even though the doctor's office gave you the wrong prescription, it is still your responsibility to check it out and verify before you leave the office. I've been going to the same doctor for almost 10 years now, and when I pick up the hand written prescriptions, the doctor has me look at it to verify it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 09/15/2015 - 2:45 AM
    I'm pretty sure that ALL of the PM's I've ever seen have had access to the records of all the prescriptions I've filled. I'm in Texas, don't know if that makes a difference. In my experience all they have to do is look & you'll be in trouble. Take the meds in & explain the situation.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Both the pharmacy and the doctors are required by LAW to check the database before prescribing and filling any opiate prescription.
    And I know there are the same requirements in other states as well.
    It seems easy enough to clear up, by your pm calling the walk in clinic, or having the walk in clinic contact your pm and confirming the reason for the visit and they mistakenly printed off the wrong prescription.
    In fact, I would be more concerned about going to a doctor whose office can not prescribe the right medication, but that is a different situation.
    Trying to avoid the situation only serves to make you look guilty , so you need to address it.