Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RECOVERY - The most important phase

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 03/16/2016 - 12:41 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Those that have read many of my threads know that I've stated that the surgeon has always had the easiest of jobs when it comes to spinal problems. They have all the training and skills, so they go in and do their work. Then they turn you over to the hospital, the nursing teams and physician assistance and therapists. Then the HARD time begins.

Its your recovery phase. After the initial surgical pain has worn off, this phase begins. I can not stress enough just how Very Important this phase is. What you do or not do during this time can have a major influence on the rest of your life.
Keep these three words always on your mind

Recovery from surgery will have many ups and downs. Depending on the type of surgery you had and your doctors orders, you may have physical and aqua therapy. Those initial therapy sessions can be very difficult. You are starting to use an area that was just surgically repaired and it takes work. You will also probably have exercises to do at home, do them. Since you will more than likely not be that active, it is important that you maintain a healthy diet. It will be easy to put on a few extra pounds, because of your inactivity, no problem in using the couch, just dont become a couch potato!. You need to be serious about this phase. Be committed the work you put in now, will pay off dividends in the future.

This is so very important. The recovery phase is difficult, so it will be so easy to get discouraged. There will be those ups/downs days when you are feeling ok and then the next day you are totally wiped out. In those bad days, you might even start questioning
Why did I even have that surgery? - I feel worse now!
Pick yourself up and dont let those days get you down. Its a tough road ahead, as I said it requires commitment. Maintaining a positive, can do approach can be one of your strongest assets. It would be so easy to just throw in the towel. Its too hard and after all it doesn't help anyway. That approach can rapidly throw you into a downward spiral that will be so more difficult to climb out of. Be Positive

Don't rush it! I know you are anxious to get back to work, start to drive again, start to do some of the things you did before. But if you do it too early you might be in danger of comprising your surgery or creating new problems. Follow your doctors timeline. All doctors will outline the time frame in which you can start resuming various activities.
Rome wasn't built in a day

Please take a look at this major article and all the sub-articles Post Operative Care That root articles contains links to so many valuable articles all dealing with recovering from surgery, back or neck.
We have some long threads here plus dozens of other ones that deal with this subject. Many times in those threads people ask medical questions looking for answers. Since, we are not permitted to provide medical advice, so posting links to formal medical documents is invaluable.

I also believe in the two handed approach to education.
Books and Theories- You need them to understand the basics, the details, the terms.
Practical and Real Hearing directly from the people that have been through it all.

You have them both here on Spine-Health

Note: It is still always important that when you feel something is really wrong, always contact your surgeon to run it by them

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.