Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Damage to the spinal cord and nerve roots

I had my 1 yr. follow up with my neuro-surgeon a couple days ago from a C5/C6 fusion. I had a disc that was herniated and was pushing against my spinal cord. I had the surgery and a good share of pain and issues since. Fast forward to last week, I had x-rays done and we had our talk after the examination. The doctor told me that because of the herniated disc was compressing my spinal cord, my spinal cord had been damaged in that area C5/C6. On the MRI, the area of the fusion looks cloudy around the spinal cord which is normal apparently when there is a fusion in that area. The NP for the neuro-surgeon and the physiologist said that the spinal cord in that area looks like it is still crowded and damage is still showing up. They also believe the nerve roots are probably damaged also. On the xray, everything looks good despite an accident at work that affected my head and neck. THe NP said that there really isnt much they can do about the pain except deal with it and maybe do Botox injections. I am allergic to cortisteroids so I am seriously limited. I am afraid of what botox would do to me. I am totally against those! I am not finding much about this online. Most spinal cord "injuries" affect people to greater points than mine. I can still walk and do most things. I can be pretty clumsy, cant walk in a straight line to save my life, cant stand with my eyes closed without tipping over, and have poor fine motor skills but I can do most else.
Tracie C

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,817
    I have a spinal cord injury like this, but was acute and swelling damaged cord. I did not go to ER for which may have saved a lot of function. I have all you speak off but severe issues with temperature regulation and burning pain , those are by far the worse. The pain I'm told is central and is much different than normal pain. I can agree as it's been destroying most parts of my life, all the little things I had after my first injury wiped out. I'm the most driven person I know and this has left me not even feeling human with the pain at all times and a body that does not work right . I would try anything in this world to get my life back , damn the side effects , a chance is all I need.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Sorry you're still going though this. Are you able to get a second opinion from a NS in another town, just to make sure they agree with the assessment? I was offered a myelogram if I wanted confirmation it was decompressed.
    My physiatrist discussed botox injections for my muscles (so arms and legs) because of my spasticity. Scary, scary idea! I can understand your fear.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• I haven't seen any information about this issue. Just being a rare case makes things difficult. I don't want a life on medications to stay at a functioning state. I don't know if it pays to have an EMG done and I am not fond of the thought of a RFA done. Especially when I have heard so much negative feedback, here and elsewhere.
    Tracie C
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,817
    edited 09/14/2015 - 5:23 PM
    There should be a test that sends signal from brain to feet that is measured to see cord interference
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I have an EMG tomorrow. I am a bit nervous about how painful it will be. I have heard that it can be bad but I think its pretty much based on personal experience. I am pretty much getting the botox front from everyone now. I received some more info on it but I havent read it since I have been working all weekend. It seems a little rediculous that it takes 3 weeks to take full effect but only lasts up to 12 weeks. So 9 weeks if it actually works? Sounds pretty expensive for a temporary fix. I am still saying no to the rhizotomy,
    Tracie C